I.D. needed for Zaphrentid corals

DE&i

Zaphrentid corals

Lower Carboniferous

Cawdor Shale’s

Matlock

It would be great to know if I’m looking at separate species here. All suggestions welcome.

Zaphrentid corals wiith original matchbox and label.jpg

Number 1 :

Zaphrentid coral 1a.jpgZaphrentid coral 1b.jpgZaphrentid coral 1c.jpg

Number 2 :

Zaphrentid coral 2a.jpgZaphrentid coral 2b.jpg

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

You can't reliably ID these corals without thin sections.  The best you are likely to be able to do is find a publication (as recent as possible) that deals with the solitary rugosans of the Cawdor Shales, and see if the fauna is small enough that you might be able to make a reasonable informed guess.  I suspect (but do not know for sure) that your first specimen is different (taxonomically speaking) from the other two.  However surface details can be quite misleading.  I have a collection I made from the Percha Shale in New Mexico; all the specimens look pretty much identical based on their exterior but internal features have lead to the identification of nearly a dozen genera/species in the fauna.

Don

Don's right - there are many small zaphrentoids in the Carboniferous and sections are needed to distinguish them. Even then, they're usually difficult. I collect Carboniferous corals but tend to give up with these.:P

(Having said that, Dorothy Hill's excellent monograph "Carboniferous rugose corals of Scotland" has quite a few in it.)

Tarquin

Thank you @FossilDAWG @TqB for the pointers for these fun little corals. They certainly are a joy to look at with some fantastic detail. Ill see if I can aquire some additional location reading material. Especially that  "Carboniferous rugose corals of Scotland"  if I can source it as a free PDF download.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Archived