Texas Fossils

Olenellus

Can you believe it?

Tyrannosaurus, Albertosaurus, Torosaurus, Alamosaurus, Coelophysis, Chindersaurus, Technosaurus, Shuvosaurus, Tecovasaurus, Arocanthosaurus, Pleurocoelus, Iguanodon, Tenontosaurus...The list is endless. I'm so thankful I live in Texas, especially the Fort Worth area. There's dinosaur fossils galore here. Also important and something more easily acquired are the endless varieties of marine fossils. Right down the street from my home in Fort Worth, I discovered an incredible site filled with "devils toenails" and other Cretaceous molluscs. What I haven't found yet, though I found some in California, are ammonites and plant fossils (John Day). My collection includes a wide variety of Pennsylvanian brachiapods, snails, and cephalopods (NM), Early Cambrian Trilobites (CA), and Plant Fossils (OR), as well as Miocene Clams and Coral from California. I obtained a whole mouthful of Mosasaur teeth, several Eocene horse and pig fossils, Phacops Trilobite, etc in trade, but no dinosaur fossils yet. I will try to take some pictures of some of my fossils. I've read a lot of stuff online and from the library on the local fossils here in Texas, but there's so much more information on the internet and from chat rooms flooding in about the sites being discovered in my state. For anyone living in my state or interested in its dinosaurs, I highly recommend Charles E. Finsley's "Discover Texas Dinosaurs." I also recommend Finsley's Field Guide to Fossils of Texas.

Olenellus

There is one thing you will find here and that is A LOT of people from Texas. Welcome to the forum from Northeast Texas.

Welcome from Galveston Texas. Like Mommabetts said there are 2 or 3 Texans here

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Oh geez another texan. Texas, the land where fossils just come to you. .................Just kidding welcome from Pa. (where we have to dig them up lol)

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Oh geez another texan. Texas, the land where fossils just come to you. .................Just kidding welcome from Pa. (where we have to dig them up lol)

Not true bigjohn some times we have to leave the porch

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Sometimes I have to walk to the beach man thats a long 10 min's

Sometimes I have to walk to the beach man thats a long 10 min's

Fossils and a Beach just 10 minutes walk?!? Jealous!!!! :o

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Ollenus--if you want ammonites, come with me (Austin area)! I can take you to a place where there are lots of them--like in this video:

Ollenus--if you want ammonites, come with me (Austin area)! I can take you to a place where there are lots of them--like in this video:

BoBC have not seen any new videos lately are you not hunting come on buddy more videos please

Seldom:

I'm really impressed. That's a fantastic display on You-tube, especially those ammonites! Those would be excellent specimens in any collection!

Olenellus

Olenellus

Thanks

I'm surprised to find so many other Texans. I feel blessed to be so close to many fossil sites. My goal is find some first rate ammonites like the ones Seldom found in Austin.

Olenellus.

Olenellus

Howdy:

I heard Pennsylvania has a lot of interesting fossils.

--Olenellus

Olenellus

Thanks

I'm surprised to find so many other Texans. I feel blessed to be so close to many fossil sites. My goal is find some first rate ammonites like the ones Seldom found in Austin.

Olenellus.

Thats not me thats BobC in Austin with the great videos. Me all I got is the beach were I find a few shark teeth a few mammal bones and loads of fish stuff. But if you do not take him up on a hunt around Austin I might head that way in the fall I want one of them big ammonites

Sorry Seldom

It must be coffee time for me. There's a lot of important Texas history about your town. I hope you're able to find some great fossils soon.

Olenellus

Olenellus

I accidentally sent Seldom the message I wanted to send you: "I'm extremely impressed with your discoveries in Austin. That You-tube presentation was fantastic. Those specimens are truly impressive, especially the big ammonites. The snails were quite large too. All I've found in my neighborhood in Fort Worth are Gryphea oysters and a few snails."

Olenellus

Olenellus

Howdy:

I heard Pennsylvania has a lot of interesting fossils.

--Olenellus

There is a wide variety of fossils in Pa, but certain areas have certain fossils. Not to mention I work too much, so I dont get out as much as I'de like.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Seldom--I just put two new ones up this weekend! I have been taking people from out of town, sometimes out of state and country, on fossil hunts for the past two months and I likewise I tend to do more guiding than filming. The two I just put up are really nothing special--they are just for the couple I spent the weekend with, really. It is getting so hot here now that I may take a siesta for the summer--not sure. I mean it has been 100 dgrees for two weeks now. That is lizard weather, not human.

If you go on Youtube and do a search on Noodleydoo, you'll get everything.

post-1290-1245202926_thumb.jpg

Thanks BobC I saw them I understand to hot to hunt. Hope Travis or Tracer do not see this it will be a C&W song. If I get up that way in the fall hope you will point the way,

the heat isn't too terrible if you are in the shade but unfortunately these quarries have zero shade--so you are in direct sunlight the whole time. It sucks. June is supposed to be the month when we get our rain but we've gotten very, very little. Apparently northern Texas is getting tons of rain--but we aren't.

the heat isn't too terrible if you are in the shade but unfortunately these quarries have zero shade--so you are in direct sunlight the whole time. It sucks. June is supposed to be the month when we get our rain but we've gotten very, very little. Apparently northern Texas is getting tons of rain--but we aren't.

Yeah, your right. I guess I'm going to have to wait to find the "big one." I'll just pull out my specimens and maybe take a few pictures. I'm very impressed with your success in finding ammonites. I've surfed all the web's fossil pictures and your big ammonites are the best! It inspired me so much I plan on hitting the fossils trails as soon as the weather cools. ---- Olenellus

Olenellus

Thanks--but I know people have found way better ones. But the ones I find are pretty huge and sometimes size matters!