The Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center

Fossil-Hound

17 hours ago, ynot said:

Cool report, thanks for sharing.

Tony

@ynot just wait until I post about the Baltimore Aquarium. Happy New Year! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

1 hour ago, jsnrice said:

@Fossildude19 How do you know it's from Madagascar?...

IMAGES OF SIMILAR FISH

INFORMATION   ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

7 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

IMAGES OF SIMILAR FISH

INFORMATION   ;) 

@Fossildude19 according to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobasatrania

These are commonly found in what is now modern day British Columbia. Now since they lived around the time of Pangea, they could be found in many different locations, as our continents were grouped up. A link on the bottom of that wiki page is as follows:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Prehistoric_fish_of_North_America

There's also one based out of Africa. Bobastrania was found on both prehistory (i.e. merged) continents. Conclusion: this fish could very well be from Virginia, though I have yet to determine the exact location of it's discovery as that was not mentioned in the museum. It also seems that according to where they are discovered in the fossil record, these fish are tropical based around the equator at the time. Now of course the climate, atmosphere, and internal oceanic streams where different at the time. Sources indicate this period was much warmer.

On 12/31/2016 at 9:21 PM, jsnrice said:

@Fossildude19 according to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobasatrania

These are commonly found in what is now modern day British Columbia. Now since they lived around the time of Pangea, they could be found in many different locations, as our continents were grouped up. A link on the bottom of that wiki page is as follows:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Prehistoric_fish_of_North_America

There's also one based out of Africa. Bobastrania was found on both prehistory (i.e. merged) continents. Conclusion: this fish could very well be from Virginia, though I have yet to determine the exact location of it's discovery as that was not mentioned in the museum. It also seems that according to where they are discovered in the fossil record, these fish are tropical based around the equator at the time. Now of course the climate, atmosphere, and internal oceanic streams where different at the time. Sources indicate this period was much warmer.

I have researched/studied the Triassic and Jurassic formations of the Newark Supergroup for the better part of 20 years.

These fish are unequivocally NOT from Virginia.

There are only a few genera of  fossil fish found in Virginia. They include the palaeoniscids : Semionotus sp., Redfieldius gracilis, and the coelacanth, Diplurus longicaudatus.

If you search for a faunal list of the Triassic/Jurassic basins of Virginia, I can pretty much guarantee that you will not find Bobasatrania on it at all. 

The preservation is wrong for the Newark Supergroup as well. The fish there are found in tan and gray to black shales, and rarely in nodules, like the one presented.

The link I posted to the Fossilworks is for the species Bobasatrania mahavavica, which is a different species from the ones found British Columbia. And I believe is,  most likely, the one in your picture.

I have seen many fish nodules from Madagascar, and the preservation is extremely similar. :) 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

I have researched/Studied the Triassic and Jurassic formations of the Newark Supergroup for the better part of 20 years.

These fish are unequivocally NOT from Virginia.

There are only a few genera of  fossil fish found in Virginia. They include the palaeoniscids : Semionotis sp., Redfieldius gracilis, and the coelacanth, Diplurus longicaudatus.

If you search for a faunal list of the Triassic/Jurassic basins of Virginia, I can pretty much guarantee that you will not find Bobasatrania on it at all. 

The preservation is wrong for the Newark Supergroup as well. The fish there are found in tan and gray to black shales, and rarely in nodules, like the one presented.

The link I posted to the Fossilworks is for the species Bobasatrania mahavavica, which is a different species from the ones found British Columbia. And I believe is,  most likely, the one in your picture.

I have seen many fish nodules from Madagascar, and the preservation is extremely similar. :) 

Regards,

Alright @Fossildude19 (aka The Fish Masta) you win this time. :) Very informative. :dinothumb:

@doushantuo updated to Devonian.

• I found this Informative 1

It is a stretch to say Bobasatrania is common in British Columbia: it occurs at one site, Wapiti Lake, which is very remote site in the Rocky Mountains, accessible by pack horse or helicopter only.  The deposit is marine, with ichthyosaurs and other fully marine fauna.  On the other hand the Virginia Triassic fish-bearing deposits formed in fresh water lakes.

That is a very nice assortment of fossils you showed us, but none of them are likely to be from Virginia.  The first photo shows a Caryocrinites ornatus.  These occur at the same site as the Dalmanites limulurus you photographed.  Both are sold through a company called primitive worlds.

Don

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

It is a stretch to say Bobasatrania is common in British Columbia: it occurs at one site, Wapiti Lake, which is very remote site in the Rocky Mountains, accessible by pack horse or helicopter only.  The deposit is marine, with ichthyosaurs and other fully marine fauna.  On the other hand the Virginia Triassic fish-bearing deposits formed in fresh water lakes.

That is a very nice assortment of fossils you showed us, but none of them are likely to be from Virginia.  The first photo shows a Caryocrinites ornatus.  These occur at the same site as the Dalmanites limulurus you photographed.  Both are sold through a company called primitive worlds.

Don

Wapiti Lake is remote but anyone in decent shape can hike in by foot.  Wapiti has an overnight cabin Free and supplied with firewood.  Wapiti Park itself tends to attract a lot of fisherman and nature enthusiasts.  Like most BC Parks the facilities are well maintained. The downside is the Grizzly population but firearms are permitted if someone is willing to carry the weight. I've never carried a weapon and had zero issues however the Tumbler Ridge area has had a few fatal bear incidents.

Fair enough, but most of the fossils I have seen from that site are on large/heavy slabs and I doubt anyone is going to carry a whole ichthyosaur out on their back.  I recall articles about Mark Wilson from the University of Alberta using pack horses to get collections out, and later expeditions using helicopters.  Anyway I believe the area is now restricted from public collecting.  Several years ago a dealer had several Wapiti Lake specimens for sale at the Tucson show, unfortunately for him he had neglected to get an export permit (which he would not have been issued in any case).

Don

• I found this Informative 1

10 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Fair enough, but most of the fossils I have seen from that site are on large/heavy slabs and I doubt anyone is going to carry a whole ichthyosaur out on their back.  I recall articles about Mark Wilson from the University of Alberta using pack horses to get collections out, and later expeditions using helicopters.  Anyway I believe the area is now restricted from public collecting.  Several years ago a dealer had several Wapiti Lake specimens for sale at the Tucson show, unfortunately for him he had neglected to get an export permit (which he would not have been issued in any case).

Don

Its restricted as a provinvial park.  However, the area all around Tumbler is quite fossiliferous.  The big scree slides are full of fossils of all sizes. At one of he cabins hikers had lined up rocks with fossils in them.  I dont recall what most of they were but lots of fish...possibly sharks. The whole area west of Jasper up to the 

Peace River is a mishmash of geology. Everything fom Eocene to Cretaceous to Triassic. The really rich Ichthyosaur deposits are along the shores of Williston Lake to the north. There are lots of slabs full of articulated remains.

Maybe when I retire I'll move back to BC.  Not sure how much slab-hauling I'll be doing when I'm 70, though.  I try to keep in practice slinging 50-pound bags of horse and goat feed over my shoulders (one of the joys of having a "hobby farm") but it gets tougher every year.

Don