Give me some preparation tips please!

cheney416

I want to preparing and cleaning fossils. And I tried to find great tools, but I can't. I want to buy air scribe and small drill(?). Can you tell me about what site I can buy those?

+I live in South Korea.

I live in the UK and all my tools come from Ken Mannion.

Good tools I think he sells international, google ken mannion fossils and it should come up

I believe a good place for you to start is to evaluate the type of fossils you will be working with, that is, what is readily available to you. The nature of the fossil specimen and importantly the surrounding matrix dictates what tools are most beneficial. Preparation can range from simply brushing off loose dirt to the laborious elimination of very hard matrix with an air scribe. In addition there are numerous methods falling between those extremes. Each type of prep demands its own tools/techniques and attendant safety steps. Please look at the preparation section of the Forum and you will see many relevant discussions. I think that exercise will be your best start for answers. I would advise you not to invest in equipment until you determine what materials you will be faced with. Good luck and most of all have fun, prepping is a interesting and rewarding endeavor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

17 hours ago, cheney416 said:

I want to preparing and cleaning fossils. And I tried to find great tools, but I can't. I want to buy air scribe and small drill(?). Can you tell me about what site I can buy those?

+I live in South Korea.

Happy new year!

Remember that in order to use an air scribe, you also need an air compressor (it is a big machine and is not included when you buy an air scribe). The air scribe works by using compressed air to push the needle, which is why it is powerful at removing rock. It can be a dangerous tool. Make sure your parents are OK with you using one, have enough knowledge to help you set it up, and can supervise you when you use it. You will also need a prep chamber, a large box that you stick your hands into to do the prep, so little pieces of rock don't fly out and hit your eyes, and dust doesn't come out (it is bad for your lungs if you breathe the dust from prepping).

For now, I would suggest that you try an engraver like this one instead. It is much easier and safer (but still be careful and use it with an adult, wear goggles and a mask. Don't use it for a long time, your hand will hurt). If you cannot find it in South Korea, buy it from somewhere that uses the same voltage and plug, otherwise you will need an adapter. Be careful if you go that route, using the wrong voltage could start a fire. 

Actually, if the rock you want to prep is not too hard, it is not necessary to use an electric tool. Soft rocks can be cleaned with a toothbrush or wire brush, with some water to soften it if needed. If it is harder you can use some picks. I have used sewing needles to clean many fossils. Give it a try, you will be surprised how much a little needle can do.

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I started prepping fossils with a small hammer and a long drywall screw.

Me too!!  Except without the hammer.  

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Me too!!  Except without the hammer.  

You're much tougher than I!

I regularly use a pin vise and needle for delicate work under the microscope. In fact, I did that today working on some bird bones for a client.

On 2016. 12. 31. at 5:03 PM, StormDancer said:

I live in the UK and all my tools come from Ken Mannion.

Good tools I think he sells international, google ken mannion fossils and it should come up

looks great. thanks!

On 2017. 1. 1. at 9:55 AM, sdsnl said:

Happy new year!

Remember that in order to use an air scribe, you also need an air compressor (it is a big machine and is not included when you buy an air scribe). The air scribe works by using compressed air to push the needle, which is why it is powerful at removing rock. It can be a dangerous tool. Make sure your parents are OK with you using one, have enough knowledge to help you set it up, and can supervise you when you use it. You will also need a prep chamber, a large box that you stick your hands into to do the prep, so little pieces of rock don't fly out and hit your eyes, and dust doesn't come out (it is bad for your lungs if you breathe the dust from prepping).

For now, I would suggest that you try an engraver like this one instead. It is much easier and safer (but still be careful and use it with an adult, wear goggles and a mask. Don't use it for a long time, your hand will hurt). If you cannot find it in South Korea, buy it from somewhere that uses the same voltage and plug, otherwise you will need an adapter. Be careful if you go that route, using the wrong voltage could start a fire. 

Actually, if the rock you want to prep is not too hard, it is not necessary to use an electric tool. Soft rocks can be cleaned with a toothbrush or wire brush, with some water to soften it if needed. If it is harder you can use some picks. I have used sewing needles to clean many fossils. Give it a try, you will be surprised how much a little needle can do.

Oh needle... really interesting. I going to do that today!

On 2017. 1. 4. at 10:53 PM, RJB said:

I started with a steak knife.  After ruining about 3 of them the wife got a bit perturbed.  :)

RB

My god!!! :rofl:

Archived