Paraloid Ponderings

Minnesota Nice

My first shot at prepping ANYTHING! I will describe by process with the hope of some constructive criticism. 

• PIX 1: I used only dental picks for this Oreodont partial jaw as the matrix is soft. I also found that a Qtip with water, softened some of the tougher spots. 
  • PIX 2: I used a soft bristle brush to apply a dilute acetic acid which served well to remove the last of the residual matrix.
  • PIX 3: I neutralized the acid with a soak in Sodium Bicarbonate
  • PIX 4: Into the oven at 200 F for one hour to drive off all moisture. 
  • PIX 5: Into a 5% solution of Paraloid. I used Pyrex brand with a snap lid and seal that does not react with the Acetone nor does the lid seem to get gummed up with the Paraloid. The piece was still warm when I put it in the Paraloid solution and it bubbled vigorously for several minutes as the solution soaked in. All told the bubbles lasted for 1 hour.
  • PIX 6: Cool shot of air escaping the piece. 
  • PIX 7: To slow down the evaporation of the Acetone, I sealed the piece in a ziplock and placed in at 25 F (note the snow!!! this is Minnesota) I could see the Acetone condensate on the bag. After 1 hour I opened the bag and let it dry completely. 
  • PIX 8: Finished and on the way to my 8 year old grandson in Florida!

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0393.JPG

q.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

Frango Ut Patefaciam...I Break in Order to Reveal :hammer01:

NIce.  My one concern s that when you bake it, some trapped water could cause it to explode.  That would be bad.  I can't tell from the photo, but does the final product look shiny?  

8 minutes ago, jpc said:

NIce.  My one concern s that when you bake it, some trapped water could cause it to explode.  That would be bad.  I can't tell from the photo, but does the final product look shiny?  

I thought that 200 would be safe maybe I will try 150 for longer. The slow evaporating is supposed to help with the shine but I think I will give it an acetone buff. I will post an updated shot

Frango Ut Patefaciam...I Break in Order to Reveal :hammer01:

Archived