Creative way to display a 12 vertebrae articulated spine....,,photos?

Minnesota Nice

Would love to see some of the ways to display a partial spine

Frango Ut Patefaciam...I Break in Order to Reveal :hammer01:

Some minimal prep needed. Probable Titanother.

Same ones, I plan on retrieving them in the spring. You were the one that gave the probable Titanother ID. 

Here is a thought, and I don;t have any actual photos. I have done this a lot for individual bones, but not for a string of big vierts You can use some of that spray foam stuff available at your local hardware store and make a mount for each vert so they will stand vertically in an in-life position.  

Wrap each vert in saran wrap cuz you don't want the stuff to stick to the bones.  That would be ruinous.  Cut out a small piece of cardboard for each vert.  lay out the cardboards on some sort of throw-away surface such as newspaper.  Spray a little bit of foam on each square and give them a few minutes to almost set up,then place each vert on its cardboard/foam stand.  Use the least expanding of the foams...there are several options available.  Let the stuff set up the then remove verts.  Remove the saran wrap.  Use a long sharp knife to trim the blocks.  As I think about this, I am changing my plan.... do all of them on one piece of cardboard or even a thin piece of plywood sized to fit them all.  Line them all up before hand.  My original plan would leave you lining up the verts to each other.  You may have to set up some sort of rigging to lean the neural spines on so the verts don't fall over.  get creative.  

Anyway, you will basically be creating a mold for each vert to fit into snuggly.  Don't let then foam get so deep that it comes up and locks the verts into position by covering up the top surfaces.  You can uuse a sharp knife to trim the foam,and even to cut away excess if it locks the bones into place.  The final step is to get some sort of nice cloth to cover up the foam.  Voila... custom made stand.   

I wrote all this from memory.  Not sure if it is clear, or if I forgot anything important.  Fell free to question the validity of all this.  

An alternative way to do this, but more complex, is to somehow place all the bones inline upside down, then cover them with saran wrap, the spray the foam on , then lay the plywood in it.

Have fun.

• I found this Informative 2

14 hours ago, jpc said:

Here is a thought, and I don;t have any actual photos. I have done this a lot for individual bones, but not for a string of big vierts You can use some of that spray foam stuff available at your local hardware store and make a mount for each vert so they will stand vertically in an in-life position.  

Wrap each vert in saran wrap cuz you don't want the stuff to stick to the bones.  That would be ruinous.  Cut out a small piece of cardboard for each vert.  lay out the cardboards on some sort of throw-away surface such as newspaper.  Spray a little bit of foam on each square and give them a few minutes to almost set up,then place each vert on its cardboard/foam stand.  Use the least expanding of the foams...there are several options available.  Let the stuff set up the then remove verts.  Remove the saran wrap.  Use a long sharp knife to trim the blocks.  As I think about this, I am changing my plan.... do all of them on one piece of cardboard or even a thin piece of plywood sized to fit them all.  Line them all up before hand.  My original plan would leave you lining up the verts to each other.  You may have to set up some sort of rigging to lean the neural spines on so the verts don't fall over.  get creative.  

Anyway, you will basically be creating a mold for each vert to fit into snuggly.  Don't let then foam get so deep that it comes up and locks the verts into position by covering up the top surfaces.  You can uuse a sharp knife to trim the foam,and even to cut away excess if it locks the bones into place.  The final step is to get some sort of nice cloth to cover up the foam.  Voila... custom made stand.   

I wrote all this from memory.  Not sure if it is clear, or if I forgot anything important.  Fell free to question the validity of all this.  

An alternative way to do this, but more complex, is to somehow place all the bones inline upside down, then cover them with saran wrap, the spray the foam on , then lay the plywood in it.

Have fun.

Thanks @jpc I had thought of something similar using metal posts with epoxy putty form fitted to each vert at the top.