Has anyone refurbished a bookcase to display fossils?

ilzho

9 minutes ago, ilzho said:

Very nice, I like that.

I am trying to find a cost effective way for the acrylic stands as they are/can be expensive.

Yes the space between the shelves I will want to address either with clear stands or something else...

As far as the lighting. I was looking into strip led lighting to affix to the top of each shelf, but too expensive.

I am thinking of getting a floor lamp that has 4/5 moveable lights (up and down the pole) and place it in the middle/back of my 2 cases so it then can light the back of the cases at the right shelf levels. Haven't tried it, but thinking about different ways.

I like the idea of the floor lamp with moveable lights.  If you find something that works, let us know.  As for the acrylic, the remnants I buy from TAP are about 10"x12" at $1 each and I can cut 3 or 4 pieces from each.  The acrylic tubing is another few dollars but they don't always have pieces in their remnant box.  A tube of the solvent cement cost me $3.85.  Of course the Harbor Freight scroll saw is another $70 so that is also a factor in the total cost.

25 minutes ago, ilzho said:

So I went to goodwill and grabbed a deviled egg dish to put some of the small stuff in. 

Still exploring.  

IMG_1732.JPG

Looks yummy!   Are they chocolate flavored?

Keep in mind if you go for the lamp in back of the case, you will be dealing with back lit items. It may work OK for smaller items but if you plan on putting bigger pieces in there it may cause some unwanted shadowing on the display side. I have single light (4' fluorescent) on the top of my cases, but they are bright enough I really don't find the need for additional lights below.

2.jpg

My bookshelf has been heavily modified.

Refer to the right. I sawed off the wooden door, fixed in an additional level, installed an acrylic door, and strung an LED strip through every section. The left side is an idea of how the right originally looked. (though I installed lights and an acrylic door on the left as well)

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

4 hours ago, -Andy- said:

2.jpg

My bookshelf has been heavily modified.

Refer to the right. I sawed off the wooden door, fixed in an additional level, installed an acrylic door, and strung an LED strip through every section. The left side is an idea of how the right originally looked. (though I installed lights and an acrylic door on the left as well)

Very nice display!  You have a lot of nice fossils and I like the way you have them all labeled.  This shows how you can do a lot without having to spend much money.

20 hours ago, ilzho said:

How much is the led strip lighting?

Roughly $35 USD for 5 meters worth. The troublesome part is the circuitry.

16 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Very nice display!  You have a lot of nice fossils and I like the way you have them all labeled.  This shows how you can do a lot without having to spend much money.

Thanks! I find that displaying proper naming and provenience of fossils improves their aesthetic value.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Archived