Quick hunt in Frick

belemniten

I want to show you some impressions of a very quick hunt in Frick near Basel. 

There exist a small quarry beside the "real" quarry, where you can saerch fossils. 

The fossils comes from the "Arietenkalk" (Jurassic). 

The most common fossil is the oyster Gryphaea, but you can also find ammonites or nautiloids. 

Like i said before i didnt had much time so i didnt find much :(

Some pictures of the "quarry":

In the background you can see the "real" quarry. From this quarry comes the  material on the small one ...

DSCN1988.JPG

DSCN1989.JPG

A block with many Gryphaea:

DSCN1987.JPG

I only found and salvage some bivalves ....

But i saw some great fossils ! I was very angry that i couldn salvage this huge (30 cm) nautilus ... the stone was too hard :(:(

DSCN1992.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

And now the bivalves:

I cant really determine them because they are very very worn ...

First one with a length of 6 cm:

DSCN2126.JPG

Then a very bad preserved Plagiostoma (3.4 cm long) ....

I found some better ones in my area: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/image/39387-plagiostoma/

DSCN2127.JPG

And last a worn Pecte ?

4.6 cm big:

DSCN2136.JPG

I think i will visit the quarry this year longer and maybe i can find better things ! 

Thanks for viewing ! And a happy new Year :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Hi Sebastian,

Don't blame yourself. You have to either be a magician or have pneumatic equipment (which is forbidden) to get any fossils intact out of that steely stone. If you do happen to go back there, then be sure to take a heavy sledge hammer and some long and strong "Spitzmeissel" with you. They don't deposit fresh material at the Gruhalde very often any more, and when they do the local collectors get wind of it and clean out the best of it in no time flat. I believe they're hardly working the quarry any more anyway. The only thing of real interest as far as I'm concerned are the ongoing excavations in the triassic layers by the museum team for the Plateosaurus remains. Here's the link in English to the Homepage anyway for anyone who may be interested:  http://www.sauriermuseum-frick.ch/index.php?id=21&L=1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, Ludwigia said:

Hi Sebastian,

Don't blame yourself. You have to either be a magician or have pneumatic equipment (which is forbidden) to get any fossils intact out of that steely stone. If you do happen to go back there, then be sure to take a heavy sledge hammer and some long and strong "Spitzmeissel" with you. They don't deposit fresh material at the Gruhalde very often any more, and when they do the local collectors get wind of it and clean out the best of it in no time flat. I believe they're hardly working the quarry any more anyway. The only thing of real interest as far as I'm concerned are the ongoing excavations in the triassic layers by the museum team for the Plateosaurus remains. Here's the link in English to the Homepage anyway for anyone who may be interested:  http://www.sauriermuseum-frick.ch/index.php?id=21&L=1

Hi Roger ! 

Thanks for the encouragement ! 

I have to buy better tools also for the "Arietenkalk" in my area .... so next time i will try it with heavy tools :)

Also thanks for the information ... 

Seems that the quarry is not that good anymore, but i think that there are other locations in this area so a visit should be worthwhile ...

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

I definitely know how you feel when you couldn't get that beast out of the rock. My local rock is also really hard. Bring some big sledge hammers next time. Nice finds though :dinothumb:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

1 hour ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

I definitely know how you feel when you couldn't get that beast out of the rock. My local rock is also really hard. Bring some big sledge hammers next time. Nice finds though :dinothumb:

Thanks UtahFossilHunter !

I just want to buy a sledge hammer, drive the 300 kilometers and try to get it out :)

But thanks for the compliment ! What can you find in your area ? (in those hard rocks :) ) Trilobites ?

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

3 hours ago, belemniten said:

Thanks UtahFossilHunter !

I just want to buy a sledge hammer, drive the 300 kilometers and try to get it out :)

But thanks for the compliment ! What can you find in your area ? (in those hard rocks :) ) Trilobites ?

Our trilobites are in a nice soft shale.:ighappy:But they are quite a ways from the nearest town. :wacko:

The closest stuff to my house I play around in has crinoids, gastropods, and bivalves in it. 

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

7 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Our trilobites are in a nice soft shale.:ighappy:But they are quite a ways from the nearest town. :wacko:

The closest stuff to my house I play around in has crinoids, gastropods, and bivalves in it. 

Thanks for the information ! 

I would like to find some trilobites anytime :D

But i also love crinoids and gastropods ... you live in a wonderful region :ptero:

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif