KCMOfossil

I have found quite a number of these ranging from 1-4 mm or so.  They are from the Kansas City Group of the Pennsylvanian Subsystem.  I don't know the name of the strata, but for the locals, these come from the road cut about 1/4 mile west of I-49 on Route 150 near Belton, MO.  I have found them in large (three to six inch) nodules.  I will appreciate any help you can give me with identification? 

Russ

my_photo-12.jpg

my_photo-10.jpg

my_photo-8.jpg

my_photo-9.jpg

It looks like a brachiopod to me. Most everything starts out pretty small so at some point they may have been about the size of a foram.

Thanks, BobWill.  I too thought it looked just like a miniature brachiopod.  My confusion came from the resource I use which said the smallest brachiopods from my area are .25 inch.  So, I thought perhaps it was a foram.  As you said, however, most everything starts small. 

Russ

I also agree with that identification.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Those probably are Crurithyris. The beds are the Argentine Limestone.

Context is critical.

BobWill was right, also Missourian. Foraminiferans don't have this kind of morphology.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived