Singapore Fossil Collectors 2016 Year End Gathering!

-Andy-

Absolutely fantastic! Thank you for sharing that with us. Your pictures came out really great. That is some collection. It's like having a museum in your house! He has quite a diverse collection. I wish I had the money and more importantly the space to house a collection like that. I visited Singapore years ago when I was in the Navy. It was a very beautiful place and everyone was very friendly and welcoming to us. 

As everyone has stated, thank you for the interesting account. You are fortunate to have a large group of like-minded friends. I am very impressed by your host's extensive, varied collection of high quality pieces. 

Please ignore this inquiry if you find it too personal or rude. Having spent a career as a professional meddler, I have few inhibitions in asking questions. Your entire group of collectors appear very youthful. Bluntly, how can your host afford such an extensive quality collection - heir to industrial fortune, eminent heart surgeon, inventor with a million dollar idea???  While the beauty and scientific value of the displayed collection is undeniable; it is hard to ignore the significant monetary value it represents.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

We'll see if Han.T decides to drop by to answer.

I can only answer for myself (and my collection is far less than his) - I scrimp and save whenever I can; less luxury products, restaurants, expensive clothes, unnecessary spending like clubbing, drinking etc.

Even so, I admit I spend more on fossils than I should. And I've been single for most of my life, while my parents can support themselves no issue(Singaporeans tend to live with their parents till they get married) so I don't have many bills or debts to settle.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Andy, thank you for your candid response. It is clear from your comments, that you have made a conscious lifestyle decision to pursue your passion for fossils. I have seen pieces from your collection on the Forum and it is clear that you are a discerning collector like the host featured in your post. Please accept my wish for your continued success and enjoyment of all your fossil related endeavors.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

57 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Andy, thank you for your candid response. It is clear from your comments, that you have made a conscious lifestyle decision to pursue your passion for fossils. I have seen pieces from your collection on the Forum and it is clear that you are a discerning collector like the host featured in your post. Please accept my wish for your continued success and enjoyment of all your fossil related endeavors.

Thank you Snolly for your kind comments.

You have many choice pieces yourself. I wish you luck for in attaining more excellent fossils too.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 1/7/2017 at 9:37 AM, snolly50 said:

Please ignore this inquiry if you find it too personal or rude. Having spent a career as a professional meddler, I have few inhibitions in asking questions. Your entire group of collectors appear very youthful. Bluntly, how can your host afford such an extensive quality collection - heir to industrial fortune, eminent heart surgeon, inventor with a million dollar idea???  While the beauty and scientific value of the displayed collection is undeniable; it is hard to ignore the significant monetary value it represents.

Singapore is an extremely rich country.  About 1/36 of the people are estimated to be millionaires.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chriswright/2015/01/29/why-is-singapore-full-of-millionaires/#2aab5c65629e

2 hours ago, aplomado said:

Singapore is an extremely rich country.  About 1/36 of the people are estimated to be millionaires.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chriswright/2015/01/29/why-is-singapore-full-of-millionaires/#2aab5c65629e

We look rich at first glance. Unfortunately, we have a huge income disparity between the rich and the average.

Our GINI coefficient is 0.410 after tax and transfers, worse than first world countries like USA, UK, Australia, Japan, Germany etc...

Andy, thanks for all the photos. You all have some amazing material in your collections and seem to have a great group to get together with to discuss this addiction we all have! Regards, Chris 

Andy

Absolutely brilliant. You and your friends have some amazing fossils.

Han T's collection and the way it's been professionally displayed wouldn't look out of place in a high class Hollywood thriller.

Thanks for showing and total respect to you all

Nick

• 1 year later...

Amazing x1000! 

But theres one question nobody has yet considered: how long does it take him to dust everything? :D