A Trip to a 65myo Beach, NJ

Trevor

I got to the area pretty early. Got on my waders and raincoat, looked like it was going to rain. I had pulled a ligament in my knee about a month before and had not fully recovered but was okay enough to walk slowly or carefully. I decided it would be an exploring day. There were fresh footprints, probably a day old. To my dismay, it appeared that many of the surface bars had been looked over carefully and meticulously. I still found one or two teeth from them but sifting was my main means. I think some of the footprints may have belonged to deer hunters but there was evidence of occasional sifting. You have got to be careful with the hunters; I was bent over crawling on gravel bars in brown waders...fortunately I had a bright red sweater on. I sifted a lot and my hands quickly became very, very cold. I bore on. The finds were really inconsistent, with certain stretches producing while others were completely barren. About 3/4's of my journey through, I came upon two older females fossiling and talked with them. They were surface scanning and doing quite well. I soon ended my hunt. Unfortunately I got lost and took a 30 minute walk in the opposite direction. This coupled with fossil fatigue made me really tired, nonetheless, the hunt was worth it. 

: )

The first picture is the better finds and the second picture is all the finds, including the better finds. The goblin tooth in picture one is 1.75" exactly. Sorry for the poor quality, I had to take a screenshot with my computer of a picture from my phone. 

Nice report and finds, Trevor. 

Thanks for posting them. 
Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Trevor, looks like you had another excellent day. Braving the cold and wet conditions Monday really looked like it paid off for you. Love those goblins and macs and those ray crusher plates I know aren't easy to find. Is that a mosasaur tooth in there? Couldn't really tell. Congratulations it looks like it was all very worthwhile. Best wishes in the New Year and thanks for posting.

Those are really some great finds!!! Congrats!

Is this a dolphin tooth?

njtrevor_Ink_LI.jpg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

3 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Is this a dolphin tooth?

The formation is too old for dolphin. It is either a fish or an erratic (for dolphin).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It is actually an odd shaped sawfish rostral spine. Sorry for the lack of clarification. Directly above the circled object is a ratfish jaw section. To the left of ratfish jaw is a turtle bone.

11 hours ago, Trevor said:

It is actually an odd shaped sawfish rostral spine. Sorry for the lack of clarification. Directly above the circled object is a ratfish jaw section. To the left of ratfish jaw is a turtle bone.

Cool!!!:o

Thanks for the info!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I sift in the winter in NJ strams/brooks.  Go to Home Depot and get a pair of black gauntlet chemical gloves.  I put on thin rubber surgical gloves, and then the thick chemical rubber gloves on top.  I can last for hours in freezing weather with them on.   I also boil a pot of water and pour it into a gallon arizona iced tea jug so when I get into the car at the end of the day the jug water is still prob 80 degrees and pour it on my hands to warm them up.   If you keep the jug wrapped in a big towel or blanket in the car it keeps it even warmer.

Archived