A New York Winter Wonderland

Darktooth

I woke up this morning, the last day of vacation, wondering how I was going to spend it. Then I read Ropterus' s trip report about his pristine meg. Well it was decided for me! I was just going to have to show you southern guys and gals that you can't keep a New Yorker down! I have had enough with all your balmy weather and sharkteeth! I was going to show you a thing or too about some real fossilhunting. So I loaded my 2 youngest in the car and off we went heading for Deep Springs Road. After the roughly 1 hour drive this is what awaited us.....

20170102_115638.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Not to be daunted we snagged a couple pieces of matrix to break up at home. Then I decided to try Briggs Road which is only about 2 miles away. Only to find tbe road .....

20170102_121053.jpg

So then I still had one trick up my sleeve, good old Sangerfield which was 45 minutes away. We got tbere to find......

20170102_125057.jpg

20170102_125100.jpg

20170102_125103.jpg

Now a lesser man would of run back home with his tail curled up like a scared dog. But not this guy, no way I didn't drive all this way for nothing so I decided to to get out and do a little recon. One of the first rocks I picked up had this nice Dipleura pygidium attached. 

14833948857282105396722.jpg

3 minutes ago, darctooth said:

I woke up this morning, the last day of vacation, wondering how I was going to spend it. Then I read Ropterus' s trip report about his pristine meg. Well it was decided for me! I was just going to have to show you southern guys and gals that you can't keep a New Yorker down! I have had enough with all your balmy weather and sharkteeth! I was going to show you a thing or too about some real fossilhunting. So I loaded my 2 youngest in the car and off we went heading for Deep Springs Road. After the roughly 1 hour drive this is what awaited us.....

20170102_115638.jpg

That's a bummer. A fence across the creek kept you from accessing that shale I see in the background. 

Actually your post reminds me of my experience last week back in Ohio. Was visiting my sister in Lima Ohio. NO snow. On the way to the airport to return to Minnesota, I tried to stop at Paulding since I have seen nice finds from Lafarge Quarry. Just two miles south of town, the roads became snow covered and the ground was white. A bummer for me. I elected to proceed north of town anyway to see where the quarry dumps material for people to scrounge around in. To my amazement, the tops of the mounds were wind swept and devoid of snow. Even more amazing, I did manage a half a dozen trilobite pygidiums and cephalons. Will post later.

Then I decided to climb up to the cliff ledge. I know it sounds fool hardy with all the snow but underneath the snow is a rubble pile leading right to the ledge.when I got up top I cleared off a small section which was roughly 3 foot by 2 foot

20170102_132417.jpg

Now I see a trilobite ! De shaw vue. (I know spelling wrong, in a hurry so didn't look for correct spelling, sorry if this is offensive to some, like my wife and daughter) We sure had similar experiences!!!!

After a little while I was finding the usual suspects. Bivalves, Bachiopods, and gastrpods.but I stumble on another pygidium. I only grabbed a few gastropods as I have plenty of the other fossils.

1483395559037173884496.jpg

1483395675661705723544.jpg

I stayed there for about 2 hours. I injured my back Saturday morning and that was about all I could handle for the time being. And it was only about 30 degrees out. So even though my haul wasn't anything special , atleast I got motivated to get out and find something. By the way thanks for the motivation Scott!

17 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

That's a bummer. A fence across the creek kept you from accessing that shale I see in the background. 

Actually your post reminds me of my experience last week back in Ohio. Was visiting my sister in Lima Ohio. NO snow. On the way to the airport to return to Minnesota, I tried to stop at Paulding since I have seen nice finds from Lafarge Quarry. Just two miles south of town, the roads became snow covered and the ground was white. A bummer for me. I elected to proceed north of town anyway to see where the quarry dumps material for people to scrounge around in. To my amazement, the tops of the mounds were wind swept and devoid of snow. Even more amazing, I did manage a half a dozen trilobite pygidiums and cephalons. Will post later.

I was hoping that these roadcuts would be windswept and bare as well. I have been to Sangerfield in the past when there was snow on the ground but the ledges were clear. Not the case today. If I was by myself and my back not hurting I would have stayed longer.

Excellent winter outing report.  I headed out yesterday also into the cold wind of southern WY and northern CO.  Didn't find much, but it was fun to try on Jan 1st.   

Hardcore, ... Dave. Hardcore. ;) 

Nice finds - those Bembexia gastropods are cool. 

Thanks for the winter wonderland fieldtrip. :P 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, darctooth said:

I stayed there for about 2 hours. I injured my back Saturday morning and that was about all I could handle for the time being. And it was only about 30 degrees out. So even though my haul wasn't anything special , atleast I got motivated to get out and find something. By the way thanks for the motivation Scott!

No problem Dave! I had a feeling it wouldn't take much to get you out there. Glad you were able to get a few good finds in spite of your circumstances. Get that back feeling better buddy!

Great report and pictures, Dave. Did you find anything good up by the tree line?

You look determined back there.

DSR winter.jpg

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Man! Way to tough it out! I feel bad about questioning whether to go or not today since we had a little rain! LOL! Well done! Great finds!

Rob :D

41 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

Great report and pictures, Dave. Did you find anything good up by the tree line?

You look determined back there.

DSR winter.jpg

Mike

I was looking for a restroom!

27 minutes ago, RCW3D said:

Man! Way to tough it out! I feel bad about questioning whether to go or not today since we had a little rain! LOL! Well done! Great finds!

If only I had rain to worry about.........

It got so hot last week in Texas, I had to kayak shirtless, and got a sunburn!  I must have scared the fossils into hiding.  I ended up finding more when I put my shirt back on.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."