Carboniferous (fossil) rock

Antonasaurus

I found this rock in France at a fossil site called Graissesac and it seems to have two strange spots on it (maybe a third one too, but it is faded). The texture of the spots is smoothe unlike the surrounding matrix, and their colour is brownish. Any ideas on what this could be?        

image.jpg

From a quick google search, the locality is a carboniferous plant locality,... so I would say they are possibly seeds.

Maybe something along the lines of Rhabdocarpus sp., or Trigonocarpus, perhaps.

Are there any known instances of arthropods found there?

Regards,

EDIT: It appears, from this website, that the place is only known for plant finds.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The site is mainly known for plants, but it is still possible to find Arthropoda. It is however, very uncommon and only a few have been found so far.

I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no clue about this... I wonder what it turns out to be!

Anyways this here might help: http://english.fossiel.net/sites/fossil_site.php?plaats=193

Best regards and good find,

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Antonasaurus , here is a picture with 4 types of seeds found in Graissessac basin (not Graissesac  but Graissessac);

this picture is on page 26, part 2 of :

http://www.ffamp.com/file/documents/Graissesac-paleobotanique-partie1.pdf

http://www.ffamp.com/file/documents/Graissesac-paleobotanique-partie2.pdf 

(Pachytesta is a big seed, almost 8-10cm, so not yours ! )

these species : Cordaicarpus expansus ,  Codonospermum sp. ,Hexagonocarpus sp., Rhabdocarpus sp. , Samaropsis sp. ,Trigonocarpus noeggeratii, are cited in :

Martín-Closas, C.,  Galtier, J. (2005): Plant Taphonomy and Paleoecology of Late Pennsylvanian Intramontane Wetlands in the Graissessac-Lodeve Basin (Languedoc, France), PALAIOS, V20, 249–265.    (sorry, I have no access to Palaios)

For Fossildude :

Euproops mariae Crônier and Courville 2005

Crônier, C., Courville, P. (2005): New xiphosuran merostomata from the Upper Carboniferous of the Graissessac Basin (Massif Central, France), C. R. Palevol, V4, 123–133

seeds.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

No need to thank. We are here as a Team. The first one replying has the hardest job, all below (I think) is easier in the narrowing down process. Thank you for your intervention and your knowledge in the domain so far. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library