Disney trip in March

Darktooth

My family and I are taking a trip to Disney March 25_ April 1. One day will be spent at Venice beach. This will be the only day I will be able to hunt shark teeth on this trip. I would like to make it as successful as possible. So any tips or advice for this location would be much appreciated. I plan on getting a sifter while I'm down there. Would snorkeling be worthwhile? Also is there areas where collecting tends to be better. I wish I could go to the Peace, but that will remain a dream for now.

Thank-you Dave

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Ive beach combed Venice several times as well as sifted, Ive never had much luck. Found lots of teeth but all small and very worn. I've heard that people find good stuff every once and a while on the beach and i heard the same about snorkeling and diving. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

17 minutes ago, Boneheadz said:

Ive beach combed Venice several times as well as sifted, Ive never had much luck. Found lots of teeth but all small and very worn. I've heard that people find good stuff every once and a while on the beach and i heard the same about snorkeling and diving. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Thanks. We have been there twice before. The first time we went in January and the water was so cold my toes went numb in less than 2 minutes. I still managed a couple small teeth. The second time was also in January but the water was much warmer I didn't find any teeth, but I did find 6 complete sand dollars.

As far as Venice goes, you will most likely find some teeth just combing the beaches. If you want to find more teeth, you'll have to get in the water and sift or snorkel. If you want a good chance at finding any quality teeth you need to get away from the wave action near shore and go diving. Unfortunately Venice is nothing like it used to be before all the renourishments. There are plenty of opportunities for fossils in Venice other than the beach. Shell piles are pretty common and they are loaded with Plio/Pleistocene inverts and the occasional vertebrates. Land sites are abundant if you can get access. Best bet is to get with a local on the forum who has access to the land sites. Good luck.

• I found this Informative 1

Hi,

May we see them please ?

6 hours ago, darctooth said:

but I did find 6 complete sand dollars.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

2 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

May we see them please ?

Coco

Sure I will post later when I get home from work.

I can loan you equipment and give you some spots to hunt while you're here. Daniel is right about the quality of inland finds, I prefer inland hunting to diving the boneyard or beachcombing but my mailman has had some success snorkeling for teeth in 3-5 feet of water. I think middle beach in englewood has better surface collecting too, seems to get a lot less traffic: )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

9 hours ago, jcbshark said:

I can loan you equipment and give you some spots to hunt while you're here. Daniel is right about the quality of inland finds, I prefer inland hunting to diving the boneyard or beachcombing but my mailman has had some success snorkeling for teeth in 3-5 feet of water. I think middle beach in englewood has better surface collecting too, seems to get a lot less traffic: )

I appreciate the offer and may take you up on it! Thanks everyone, for the info.

Coco, I apologize bacause I forgot to post pics last night. I will tonight when I fet home. Promise.

Dave

Hi,

Don't worry, I will wait ;):popcorn:

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Here you go. I don't know if these are fossils. I think they may be modern. They are very fragile. I had a few of them break apart in my hand just trying to pick them out of the sand. I was snorkeling in about 3-4 feet of water. One of the local guys told me that at a certain time of year you could find the "live" ones. I like them no matter if old or new.

20170104_195909.jpg

Hi,

Yes, they are recent sea urchins : Mellita quinquesperforata ! Mine are from South Caroline.

Coco

• I found this Informative 2

----------------------

Un Greg...

Thanks for the information!

On 1/5/2017 at 3:23 AM, Coco said:

Hi,

Yes, they are recent sea urchins : Mellita quinquesperforata ! Mine are from South Caroline.

Coco

Hello coco,

If your specimens are from the Intracoastal Waterway at Myrtle Beach in the Canepatch Formation they may be Pleistocene. I have also seen these listed as Melitta tenuis. I have modern ones from the Cape Fear Region of North Carolina but have never determined what species they belong to.

Don

Hi,

I have the two species :

- Mellita tenuis from Florida, South Caroline and unknown origin, I haven't more information about them, I have only tests ;

- Mellita quinquesperforata from Myrtle Beach, South Caroline, I have tests and spined ones.

The difference between M. tenuis and M. quinquesperforata is the central lunula which is longer on Mellita tenuis. I can't do pics actualy because I have to leave, but I will try to remember...

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

I have forgotten : I am sure that mine are recent ones because they are very fragile, very light and empty of any sediment.

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

If you have dead ones then of course my suggestion is wrong. Here is what the late Pleistocene ones look like. This specimen is in my personal collection as M. quinquiesperforata but perhaps it is tenuis?

melitta quinquiesperforata.jpg

I think this one is Mellita quinquiesperforata with probably a little Encope on it.

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

9 hours ago, Plax said:

If you have dead ones then of course my suggestion is wrong. Here is what the late Pleistocene ones look like. This specimen is in my personal collection as M. quinquiesperforata but perhaps it is tenuis?

melitta quinquiesperforata.jpg

That is awesome! You have a specimen with a hitchhiker!

this was dug at the type locality for the Cane Patch Formation along the ICW in Myrtle Beach in the 80s. There were Encope emarginata in one bed and Melitta in another. these are extremely fragile. We would collect a beer flat of them including sand as a cushion and have less than half unbroken by the time we arrived at our vehicle.

should probably have mentioned that this pic is from the North Carolina Fossil Club's Book. Richard Chandler photographed and outlined the picture for that publication.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is finally my pic :

313klqf.jpg

Lunules (holes) are proportionally finer and longer on Mellita tenuis than on Mellita quinquiesperforata.

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok , so things just got more interesting. My wife said that I can have 2 hours to search the Peace river when we go on our vacation in March. I know 2 hours is not much but I will take what I can get, to be able to visit such a wonderful site. I will be limited to walking as there will be no canoe or kayak and I will have my family with me. So my question for the forum is can someone point me to a easy access, kid friendly section of river. ( if there even is such a thing). I will be happy if I can score a few decent shark teeth. Thanks guys 

Capersan beach a couple miles south of venice, I hear. Some area of venice beach had alotta fill dirt imported for beach renourishment . Nothing to find there, I hear. Never been though, peace river is my haunt.