Disney trip in March

Darktooth

3 hours ago, darctooth said:

Ok , so things just got more interesting. My wife said that I can have 2 hours to search the Peace river when we go on our vacation in March. I know 2 hours is not much but I will take what I can get, to be able to visit such a wonderful site. I will be limited to walking as there will be no canoe or kayak and I will have my family with me. So my question for the forum is can someone point me to a easy access, kid friendly section of river. ( if there even is such a thing). I will be happy if I can score a few decent shark teeth. Thanks guys 

I live in arcadia and I would be happy to walk you into the area where all my photos pieces were found.It is kid friendly and a 10 minute walk from parking, let me know, it is gonna be kinda cold until the end of the week if the forecast is accurate. I am 6 ft tall and this area I dig is knee deep.

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, darctooth said:

Ok , so things just got more interesting. My wife said that I can have 2 hours to search the Peace river when we go on our vacation in March. I know 2 hours is not much but I will take what I can get, to be able to visit such a wonderful site. I will be limited to walking as there will be no canoe or kayak and I will have my family with me. So my question for the forum is can someone point me to a easy access, kid friendly section of river. ( if there even is such a thing). I will be happy if I can score a few decent shark teeth. Thanks guys 

Just saw the date you stated, as you know conditions can vary and that is some time away. Regardless my offer stands, I am self employed and it is very unlikely(extremely) That I could not make time for yall that day. I would be glad to volunteer some time and share a good spot, I get lonely digging alone.

If you are only staying a couple hours, it's not like your gonna come back and dig my "honey" hole out. Besides, it is not a military secret:D I go just far enough to pass the heavily picked over areas.

These pics were found in the general area. This season, not in a day of course.

0128171439.jpg

0128171439a.jpg

0128171728.jpg

Thanks a lot I appreciate the offer. I know it is stilla ways off. Hopefully conditions will cooperate. I will be it touch when time gets closer.

Dave

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Use a flea rake.  When I went there, I found mainly smaller ones, but there was a 1.75 in sand tiger tooth that I found.   Try snorkeling.  You can fin some monster meg teeth if you get out there a couple of hundred feet and go down about 15-20.  Good luck!

2 hours ago, History Hunter02 said:

Use a flea rake.  When I went there, I found mainly smaller ones, but there was a 1.75 in sand tiger tooth that I found.   Try snorkeling.  You can fin some monster meg teeth if you get out there a couple of hundred feet and go down about 15-20.  Good luck!

Thanks for the tips!

6 hours ago, darctooth said:

Thanks a lot I appreciate the offer. I know it is stilla ways off. Hopefully conditions will cooperate. I will be it touch when time gets closer.

Dave

I will let you know how the river is looking here as that time gets near. I know they have flow charts on some web site, but I am not sure how that data computes. I find it easier to ride down to the SR 70 bridge and a quick glance at a bridge marker. They are not calling for rain around here until mid next week. It should be good at that time.

It is killing me that it is to cold to dig! Calling for lows of 38 here tonight, only upper 60's for a high today :(  If I could just (legally) get into a mine ! Take it easy !

• 2 weeks later...

I just sent my application for a Florida fossil permit!  I hope it comes back in time for the trip. I would hate to find something cool and not be able to keep it!

• 1 month later...

I am on my vacation in Florida right now and my family and I have had a great time. Though I don't have a lot of time right to post at the moment, I wanted to mention that yesterday we went to Venice beach, and made it to the Peace River where we had the pleasure of meeting up and hunting with Peace River Rat. It was a short hunt but, we manage to score some goodies! I will post a full report after I get back. I just wanted to say a big "Thank-you" to Robert, for taking time to meet up with us, show us around and he also gave us a bunch of stuff he had found previously, to take home. Very generous! I am looking forward to sharing the experience with everyone.:)

Well me and the family are at the airport waiting to board the plane to make the long sad trip back to reality.:( But I will post report and pics tomorrow.:D 

Glad to hear you got to get out and hunt while you were down there.  Looking forward to the pics

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:48 PM, Darktooth said:

I am on my vacation in Florida right now and my family and I have had a great time. Though I don't have a lot of time right to post at the moment, I wanted to mention that yesterday we went to Venice beach, and made it to the Peace River where we had the pleasure of meeting up and hunting with Peace River Rat. It was a short hunt but, we manage to score some goodies! I will post a full report after I get back. I just wanted to say a big "Thank-you" to Robert, for taking time to meet up with us, show us around and he also gave us a bunch of stuff he had found previously, to take home. Very generous! I am looking forward to sharing the experience with everyone.:)

Was glad to be able to meet you and your kids and have some time to dig. PRR said "kin folk said, Jed move Away from there! Peace River is the place you oughta be" !:D

Hi everyone! I am back from Florida and we definitely had a great trip! My family had a blast visiting the parks and I had a blast visiting the Peace River, though I was a short stay. On Tuesday we went to Venice, but due to a couple glitches we didn't get there till much later than anticipated. I only found a couple small teeth and tiny Fish vert. We then drove to Arcadia and met Peace River Rat (Robert) at 3:30. My wife had told me we could only stay for 2hrs so I knew we had to make the best of it. After we were greeted by Robert , handed me a coffee can full of Peace River material to take home with us. I couldn't believe how much stuff fit in that can. But I will get to that later. After about a 10 minute walk Robert put us in a spot were he said was just downstream from where alot of people dig. Only my Daughter Rachel and my youngest Devin went with us. My wife and other 2 boys weren't in the mood. My first scoop of gravel produced a decent size Bull shark. I couldn't believe how much bigger it was from what I find in Maryland. But the next scoop produced a large Tigershark that was easily 3x bigger than my Maryland Tigers, that really got the blood flowing. The digging reminded me a lot of Bigbrook New Jersey.  Soon Rachel and Devin were finding shark and Ray teeth as well. I tried to point out what was bone and other things that I knew they were not familiar with. Devin was having fun trying to scoop up the little flounder that were quite abundant in the river. The spot we we in was quite nice. The side of the river we entered on was sout of grassy and devoid of trees and bushes while the opposite side had a lot of vegetation. The water was shallow, only getting maybe knee deep in the deepest spot. On the way in Robert shared his knowledge of the river and surrounding area with us. A couple of his friends showed up and had let me use his home made rake /sifter which really worked well. It was similar to the store bought flea rake but a lot sturdier.  Even though we were there 2 hrs only about 1 1/2 hours was actual digging time but we made the best of it. I found assorted sharkteeth, rayteeth and barbs, a couple mammal teeth fragments,  a broken gator tooth and what I think is turtle ostaderm? Also I got a couple pufferfish mouth plates. One is quite nice. I didn't think I would get excited over that but I did. Also got some misc bone frags. Soon our time was up and we had to leave. We chatted with Robert I little mor and he gave Devin some item he found while digging with us. I want to take the time to give Robert a public Thank-you for taking the time out to meet us as well as sharing your knowledge of the area. Also you were very generous with the items you gave and sent us home with.  I do have to apologize though because I bought a shovel and sifter that was going to leave with him becuase I wasn't going to bring it home on the plane. But I forgot to leave it with him when we left. But I told him that I am sending a package his way with some New York goodies, for being a gracious host. Here are some pics of the finds. 

#1 the total haul

#2 close up of Tigersharks

#3 pufferfish mouthplate

#4 Venice finds

#5 turtle ostraderm?

#6 help with id of sharktooth?

There will be more to come, this will be a process.

20170402_122335.jpg

20170402_122345.jpg

20170402_122358.jpg

20170402_122406.jpg

20170402_122424.jpg

20170402_122500.jpg

Here is just some, of what Robert gave us to bring home.

#1 The teeth

#2 bone and turtle material.

#3 Does anyone know what these belong too? They all have the same shape.

20170402_123616.jpg

20170402_123040.jpg

20170402_123100.jpg

awesome,congrats and that was really cool of Robert to help!  cool stuff

Here is a pic of the Peace river tigers versus Calvert Cliff tigers. I believe the tigers from the Peace are Galeocerdo Cuvier while the two from Calvert cliffs are G. adunctus and G. contortus. Please correct me if I'm  wrong. The Peace tigers were a good find for me.

20170402_165309.jpg

Here is a close -up of the tooth I need id for

20170402_165410.jpg

Here is a close -up of the pufferfish mouthplate, another fun find.

20170402_165435.jpg

Mammal tooth frag. Any ideas?

20170402_170830.jpg

20170402_170844.jpg

4 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Here is a pic of the Peace river tigers versus Calvert Cliff tigers. I believe the tigers from the Peace are Galeocerdo Cuvier while the two from Calvert cliffs are G. adunctus and G. contortus. Please correct me if I'm  wrong. The Peace tigers were a good find for me.

20170402_165309.jpg

Are you sure that Galeocerdo cuvier is the species from Peace River ? Because I think it is the name of the recent species. Does it exists like a fossil ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

The next three pics are of t finds which had these ripple marks on them. Any ideas? Bone or turtle?

20170402_170912.jpg

20170402_170921.jpg

20170402_170926.jpg

2 minutes ago, Coco said:

Are you sure that Galeocerdo cuvier is the species from Peace River ? Because I think it is the name of the recent species. Does it exists like a fossil ?

Coco

In the book I use for shark teeth id it says that G. cuvier appeared in the miocene and is still alive.