trip to Seattle

Herb

Hi all, I am going to be in Seattle for three weeks, is there anything worth collecting in the area?  Any info would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me . Thanks, Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Hello Herb,

I've collected a road cut that I think was in the Lincoln Creek formation many years ago. Sorry, I can't remember the exact location but this site may give you some ideas. I did find a couple of crabs in nodules, dentalium, and misc. shells. If I can recall details I'll let you know. Good luck!

Lonnie

Hi Herb,

When is your trip?  How far are you willing to travel?  Will you have longer stretches of time (2-3 days) to get away, or are you looking for local day trips only?  

Locally, I have read about (but not personally visited) Oligocene Blakely Formation sites around Restoration Point south of Blakely Harbor on Bainbridge Island.  Invertebrate and vertebrate fossils have been found there.  I do not know about access.  You could possibly also take the hydrofoil ferry to Victoria BC and rent a car for the day to drive over to Sooke to collect.  The ferry crossing is quite scenic, and Victoria is a beautiful city to visit in its own right.  If you decide to do this I can PM you directions to the fossil site, or maybe you can connect with locals such as ssuntok.

There is a large roadcut near Porter, WA that has Oligocene fossils.  I visited there once (arrived very late, slept in the car overnight, collected by flashlight and was on my way by 6 AM to catch a plane) and found fossils similar to what FossilGuy mentioned.  Unfortunately I recall a thread (found it here) that indicates the site is now posted and collecting is illegal. :angry:

In the interior, there is a great museum and you can collect Eocene plant fossils in Republic, WA.  It's a looong drive from Seattle, and I think you can keep only a few specimens, but they can be very beautiful.

Perhaps some of our "crabby" forum members can help you out with Olympic Peninsula sites.

Don

Herb, I found a Pleistocene horse tooth weathering out of a road cut in Linwood, which is about 18 miles north of Seattle. So there are things of that sort around. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Hi Herb,

When is your trip?  How far are you willing to travel?  Will you have longer stretches of time (2-3 days) to get away, or are you looking for local day trips only?  

Locally, I have read about (but not personally visited) Oligocene Blakely Formation sites around Restoration Point south of Blakely Harbor on Bainbridge Island.  Invertebrate and vertebrate fossils have been found there.  I do not know about access.  You could possibly also take the hydrofoil ferry to Victoria BC and rent a car for the day to drive over to Sooke to collect.  The ferry crossing is quite scenic, and Victoria is a beautiful city to visit in its own right.  If you decide to do this I can PM you directions to the fossil site, or maybe you can connect with locals such as ssuntok.

There is a large roadcut near Porter, WA that has Oligocene fossils.  I visited there once (arrived very late, slept in the car overnight, collected by flashlight and was on my way by 6 AM to catch a plane) and found fossils similar to what FossilGuy mentioned.  Unfortunately I recall a thread (found it here) that indicates the site is now posted and collecting is illegal. :angry:

In the interior, there is a great museum and you can collect Eocene plant fossils in Republic, WA.  It's a looong drive from Seattle, and I think you can keep only a few specimens, but they can be very beautiful.

Perhaps some of our "crabby" forum members can help you out with Olympic Peninsula sites.

Don

Hi Don, we will be there from 1/6 to 1/23, would  prefer to stay withig a one day drive, but would consider a longer trip for some good stuff.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Archived