12/26/16 New Jersey Cretaceous trip (Mos. + more)

frankh8147

Me and my brother, shajzer64, both ended up having a day off on the 26th so we ended up heading down to the Cretaceous steams of Monmouth County. It was cold - really cold, but the steams treated us well. I found a large Mosasaur tooth (1.4 inch) with really nice coloration; it is red, yellow, orange and black, a nice ghost shrimp burrow, and my best Ischyodus (ratfish) specimen to date. Shane came up with a nice Xiphactinus tooth, a few nice gastropods, and a very large piece of fossil bone we are going to take to the museum in a few weeks. Overall, it was a tough trip but I'm glad we went for it!

Cheers,

Frankce2.jpg

ce7.jpg

ce5.jpg

Nice finds! Love the colors of that mosasaur! 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

This is the bone Frank was talking about. Biggest one I've ever found, always nice to end the year on a strong note. Can't wait to get back out there!

1226161438[1].jpg1226161438a[1].jpg1226161439a[1].jpg

Any better focused shots of this bone?  :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Not at the moment. That one isn't at my apartment. I just snapped a few with my phone a few days ago. I can probably get some better pictures with an actual camera in the next day or so.

I managed to grab it today. Took a few better pictures, but I'm still working on balancing detail with image size limits. This one shows the interior patterns and bone structure.

img1resize.jpg

And here is a close-up and an angle of the top. I'm going to have to work to preserve it, the piece rather fragile for its size.

IMG_1435.JPGimg2resize.jpg

Hey Frank! Sorry I just saw this today. Excellent mosasaur tooth! As you said the colors are amazing. Shane's ratfish jaw is excellent too!

: )

3 hours ago, shajzer64 said:

And here is a close-up and an angle of the top. I'm going to have to work to preserve it, the piece rather fragile for its size.

Still hard to tell, but I'm wondering if this isn't a partial skull bone (part of the prootic?) from a mosasaur.  In hand, does it have the bone texture of other local mosasaur finds?

I was thinking it could be something like that. The internal structure has a marine reptile look to it. The texture is what's throwing me off... It's got a good density to it, but the exterior seems likely to flake, so it doesn't have the smoothness I'm used to as a result. It has shiny flecks, most likely trace amounts of mica throughout it.

Flaky and shiny flecks would be more typical of fish....  :mellow:

Perhaps, do you know of any that might fit the profile? This piece is about 5 and a 1/4in long and 2 and 1/2in thick where it bows out. Most fish bones here are jaws and verts that don't get too big. Other types of fish bone are rare here so I don't have any to compare it to. This piece has been a tough ID since I found it. With how quickly things mineralize over here, I can't rule out Pleistocene yet.

Frank and Shane, that's a pretty impressive haul. Love the colorful mosasaur tooth, shrimp burrow, and ratfish jaw piece and I'm just dying to know what that bone is. Any one of those would be a trip maker for me. Big congratulations and thanks for sharing.  

Thanks, that's why I love going out in the winter. Most people don't come out, so it's the best time for rare finds. A lot of it was found surface collecting. I was surprised to see my bone just sitting on rocks to the side of the stream. That wouldn't last a day if it was summer. I'll make sure to post what it gets IDed as at my trip to the museum is in a few weeks. Until then, I guess I'll be doing some research!

Having held that bone in hand, I'm pretty stumped. Originally I thought it was marine reptile but now have my doubts. It is heavily mineralized (I know the Brooks make bone look old really fast but I don't believe this to be the case). I compared it to other mosasaur specimens I found and it is similar in structure to some tooth sockets but I'm not ready to make that jump.

Luckily, we do have a meeting planned at the end of the month at the museum and that is one of the specimens we were planning to bring

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

I finally made it to the museum and it was well worth the wait. The large bone was identified as a Mosasaur brain case. This specimen would be on the right side of the skull. In the next few months, I'll take it in so a mold can be made for ID purposes. Overall, it was best case scenario. frankh8147 made a post of it and the other pieces we took there, including 4 hadrosaur teeth and 2 crocodile teeth.

• I found this Informative 1