(Julia)

Please take a look at this.  It's about 8"x4"x5"... guessing.  But extremely interesting.  I found it in a creek bed here in Round Rock TX.  What is it?

20170102_153700.jpg

20170102_153714.jpg

20170102_153733.jpg

20170102_153743.jpg

Rudist,  I think.:unsure: 

Wait for some more opinions though. 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It's a fragment of an Upper Cretaceous rudist known as Durania. 

IMG_0552.JPG

• I found this Informative 9

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

6 hours ago, JohnJ said:

It's a fragment of an Upper Cretaceous rudist known as Durania. 

IMG_0552.JPG

John,

For the ones who do not have the faintest idea of what a rudisted/rudist is perhaps a nudge in the right direction might help.

Strange as it may be,

Rudists are associated

with or part of the family of clams aren't they?

Jess B.

dou

NB1 : large file!!!!

NB2 : a recognized classic in the field of rudistid paleontology.

nice plates,BTWB)

NB3 : In French

• I found this Informative 1

Rudist.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

YEAH!  Thank you!  How exciting. You are wonderfully full of answers!!  That rock made me fall in love all over again with rocks. Love it!

On 4.1.2017 at 10:00 AM, bone2stone said:

John,

For the ones who do not have the faintest idea of what a rudisted/rudist is perhaps a nudge in the right direction might help.

Strange as it may be,

Rudists are associated

with or part of the family of clams aren't they?

Jess B.

For those who don't have the time or inclination to read long specialized papers, here in a nutshell: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudists

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On 1/5/2017 at 5:01 AM, Ludwigia said:

For those who don't have the time or inclination to read long specialized papers, here in a nutshell: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudists

Thank you for this info.

I personally have information, but many others though they have heard and have and seen rudistids their intrest in them is limited.

I myself as an adolescent thought of them as corals. It was not till I had grown up that I learned of the unique way in which these "clams" developed.

My point is some people just do not go beyond the name/type of specimen in question.

I recently was talking with another collector, who did not know what the difference between a rugosa and a rudistid.

Easy for some, confusing for others who may be mentally challenged.

Open, honest and specific answers can lead some others to understanding things that to them are confusing.

Thanks again for your input.

Howdy John.

Jess B

1 hour ago, bone2stone said:

Thank you for this info.

I personally have information, but many others though they have heard and have and seen rudistids their intrest in them is limited.

I myself as an adolescent thought of them as corals. It was not till I had grown up that I learned of the unique way in which these "clams" developed.

My point is some people just do not go beyond the name/type of specimen in question.

I recently was talking with another collector, who did not know what the difference between a rugosa and a rudistid.

Easy for some, confusing for others who may be mentally challenged.

Open, honest and specific answers can lead some others to understanding things that to them are confusing.

Thanks again for your input.

Howdy John.

Jess B

You're welcome, Jess. I remember when I first discovered fossils and started collecting on the side when I was more interested in minerals. I didn't really care what they were called. They just looked neat. Then when I decided to get more serious about it I noticed how complicated it could get, much more so than surface identifyng minerals. It was really frustrating at first to be able to wrap my head around all that. Not just ids, but all that stratigraphy and geology and stuff. Then I really got interested in it all, and that was the point where I really started learning because I really wanted to.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I was born into getting outside digging the the stuff below my feet.

I do not remember finding my first real collectable fossil or my first artefact (arrowhead)

Going to school, as I grew, my teachers always expected a show and tell.

Thing about it was they would often have to tell me what it was that I found.

My school projects often involved fossils.

I do not have many specimens from those memories, most I gave to the school. Some still on display in the science labs to this day.

Well I have effectively led this thread astray long enough.

Everyone have a good night.

Jess B.