Megalodon or Chubutensis

Vieira

I found this tooth and I'm with some doubts in this identification.

My guess goes to Chubutensis but i'am not certain.

Tooth "in situ":

WP_20161230_09_06_58_Pro.jpg

Removed in matrix:                                                                          After preparation:

IMG-20161231-WA0006.jpg                                       IMG-20170103-WA0002.jpg

Thanks

Filipe

Wow, what a beautiful tooth, Vieira!  I love the pink colour!!!

(I have no idea regarding identification, though - good luck and congratulations!)

Monica

19 minutes ago, ynot said:

Very nice tooth!!

Congratulations!

Tony

16 minutes ago, Monica said:

Wow, what a beautiful tooth, Vieira!  I love the pink colour!!!

(I have no idea regarding identification, though - good luck and congratulations!)

Monica

1 minute ago, aerogrower said:

I am so envious! That is an incredible looking tooth. Nice find.

Thank you :D

I was very happy with this finding.

Any suggestion on your identification?

5 minutes ago, Vieira said:

Any suggestion on your identification?

My vote is for a chub, but I have seen teeth with a cusp like Yours that are called meg.

Tony

PS Age of formation may narrow it down.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 minute ago, ynot said:

My vote is for a chub, but I have seen teeth with a cusp like Yours that are called meg.

Tony

PS Age of formation may narrow it down.

You right...Sorry

This tooth is from Miocene - Burdigalian (16 - 23)

The simple answer is to follow Cappetta. He has chubutensis occurring in the Early Miocene (Aquitanian and Burdigalian) so if your tooth is from the Burdigalian, you can call it a chubutensis. I think the reality is much more difficult. Some will say that Miocene megalodon teeth had cusps on the juvenile teeth and lost them as they become adults. In North Carolina we (amateur collectors) tend to call the cusped teeth that come from the Middle Miocene Pungo River Formation C. chubutensis. I think a lot of Maryland collectors call Middle Miocene teeth C. megalodon whether they have cusps or not. What adds to the confusion is lower teeth of chubutensis and angustidens frequently lack the side cusps so they look like C. megalodon.

• I found this Informative 8

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

The simple answer is to follow Cappetta. He has chubutensis occurring in the Early Miocene (Aquitanian and Burdigalian) so if your tooth is from the Burdigalian, you can call it a chubutensis. I think the reality is much more difficult. Some will say that Miocene megalodon teeth had cusps on the juvenile teeth and lost them as they become adults. In North Carolina we (amateur collectors) tend to call the cusped teeth that come from the Middle Miocene Pungo River Formation C. chubutensis. I think a lot of Maryland collectors call Middle Miocene teeth C. megalodon whether they have cusps or not. What adds to the confusion is lower teeth of chubutensis and angustidens frequently lack the side cusps so they look like C. megalodon.

Thank you very much for your explanation. :dinothumb:

1 hour ago, darctooth said:

Great find, Vieira!:meg:

32 minutes ago, Carl said:

WOW WOW WOW!!!!

Thanks for your comments. :)

I noticed now that I have not put any scale. This is not a big tooth. It have 6, 7cm.

Awesome find and great prep too Filipe:fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Great!!! find -- I really love the color.. Reds and pinks are very attractive..

For your location, this must be a Chub, but in South Florida we do not have many/any Chubs but I have found these Megs with "regressive" traits.AimeeFtMeadeMar14th2014a.jpg

RSCN0953t.jpg

JackWholeMeg1blowup.JPG

I am still seeking my 1st Chub, but I am pleased with C. Megalodon cusps.  Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Filipe, what a gorgeous tooth. The pinkish color of it is amazing.

Do Not let my granddaughter see this tooth, she will want it for her pink bedroom. :D

This is the second really, really nice mega shark tooth posted so far for 2017 ( see Ropterus's post ... 

At this rate, looks like 2017 will be a great year for fossiling. As far as I.D. personally due to the small cusps and age of the sediments, I would also call it C. chubutensis.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

My understanding is that the Carcharocles lineage is a series of chronospecies, which is to say that the lineage changed morphology gradually over time from conspicuously cusped forms to the end-point C. megalodon without cusps.  In this sort of a lineage there is no abrupt jump from one morphology to the next, so distinctions will always have a certain degree of arbitrariness.  On the other hand, in the more familiar pattern where species split into two lineages (shown as branching on a phylogenetic tree) the daughter species may evolve rapidly as they specialize on different niches, so distinct morphologies evolve quickly and you are less likely to find fossils with intermediate morphologies.

Beautiful teeth, everybody.

I also like the sound of "megalodoon", sounds Scottish.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

17 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Great!!! find -- I really love the color.. Reds and pinks are very attractive..

For your location, this must be a Chub, but in South Florida we do not have many/any Chubs but I have found these Megs with "regressive" traits.AimeeFtMeadeMar14th2014a.jpg

RSCN0953t.jpg

JackWholeMeg1blowup.JPG

I am still seeking my 1st Chub, but I am pleased with C. Megalodon cusps.  Shellseeker

Beautiful teeth.

Thanks for sharing :)

17 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

Filipe, what a gorgeous tooth. The pinkish color of it is amazing.

Do Not let my granddaughter see this tooth, she will want it for her pink bedroom. :D

This is the second really, really nice mega shark tooth posted so far for 2017 ( see Ropterus's post ... 

At this rate, looks like 2017 will be a great year for fossiling. As far as I.D. personally due to the small cusps and age of the sediments, I would also call it C. chubutensis.

Thank you Pete :dinothumb:

I'm very happy with this tooth. This is still not a finding of 2017. Only the preparation was in 2017 :).

I hope this year will bring me as good finds as last year. :D

14 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

My understanding is that the Carcharocles lineage is a series of chronospecies, which is to say that the lineage changed morphology gradually over time from conspicuously cusped forms to the end-point C. megalodon without cusps.  In this sort of a lineage there is no abrupt jump from one morphology to the next, so distinctions will always have a certain degree of arbitrariness.  On the other hand, in the more familiar pattern where species split into two lineages (shown as branching on a phylogenetic tree) the daughter species may evolve rapidly as they specialize on different niches, so distinct morphologies evolve quickly and you are less likely to find fossils with intermediate morphologies.

Beautiful teeth, everybody.

I also like the sound of "megalodoon", sounds Scottish.

Don

Thank you for your comment :)

I'm learning a lot with your fantastic comments and knowledges.