What is this?

Kellett

Hello all,

My daughter found this today on a local beach, we were wondering if anybody could shed some light on what it might be please?

Photo on 04-01-2017 at 15.02 #2.jpg

Photo on 04-01-2017 at 15.02 #3.jpg

Photo on 04-01-2017 at 15.02 #4.jpg

Photo on 04-01-2017 at 15.02.jpg

Where might that local beach be generally located?  :) 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

4 minutes ago, Kellett said:

Any idea what date this is from?

We would need a more specific location of the find, but that type of coral went extinct at the end of the permian.(Before the dinos.)

Tony

PS You beat Me!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The coral is Siphonophyllia, probably S. cylindrica, from the Lower Carboniferous.  It's a distinctive large species from the fairly early Carboniferous, Chadian Stage. That's roughly 345-350 million years.

Lovely find, I'd have taken that home!

Tarquin

That is a really nice and large solitary rugose coral, according to the dimensions and the visible fossula. I think Tarquin is right with the ID. In lack of available reference it's better to ask:
Is that the combined name of Caninia cylindrica Scouler and Siphonophyllia garwoodi Ramsbottom & Mitchell ?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

11 hours ago, abyssunder said:

That is a really nice and large solitary rugose coral, according to the dimensions and the visible fossula. I think Tarquin is right with the ID. In lack of available reference it's better to ask:
Is that the combined name of Caninia cylindrica Scouler and Siphonophyllia garwoodi Ramsbottom & Mitchell ?

The original form is actually Siphonophyllia cylindrica Scouler MS in McCoy, 1844, p.187, A synopsis of the characters of the Carboniferous limestone fossils of Ireland.

It differs from Caninia, in which it was often subsequently included, in the possession of a lonsdaleoid dissepimentarium. Caninia's is (mostly) normal and narrow.

Siphonophyllia was reinstated by Dorothy Hill in the Treatise (!956, 1981) and is in current usage for this species.

Another useful reference:

http://www.palass.org/publications/palaeontology-journal/archive/13/1/article_pp52-63

Here's the original McCoy description:

IMG_2261.jpgIMG_2262.jpg

Tarquin

Thank you, Tarquin, for the explanations and references. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived