fossilnoggin

hi, i am considering a kayak for multi-purpose use.   mainly i plan to use to explore and hunt  a few nj streams for fossils, but i'll also use it for fishing bays and maybe ocean.  i'd also like to take it to maryland/va. and in the longer term to south carolina for the same purpose.  i wanted to hear pros/cons of sit-on vs sit-in kayaks from fellow board members who have experience with their own kayaks before i make a decision.   i'm looking to buy used and have the patience to wait for a good fit.   thanks!!     

Well if you want to use it to get to locations and then park the kayak ashore then that would be a great way to do it but if you want to dive down to find fossils I imagine the kayak would float off with the current.

Opinions may vary, but I would recommend a sit on top. I've been paddling a basic SOT for fishing and weekend trips for about 10 years, and recently started employing it for fossil hunting. I keep a little 3 lb. anchor on a short bow line and it is a matter of seconds to hop out and drop the anchor on a beach or in shallow water. For what I've been doing--paddling up debris-choked rivers, dragging over logs, getting out frequently to wade and snorkel--it is an ideal tool.

G

SOT - no comparison. You need to carry gear -- shovel, sieves, life vest,

I have a Ocean Kayak 11.5 foot Scrambler XT. and a composite Kestrel 14foot sit in kayak.  I can carry/drag either up/down banks over the hills and thru the woods, and I never take the Kestrel on a River fossil hunt

IMG_1901.JPG

Scrambler on the left.  Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I do a lot of fossil hunting in a kayak and I would only consider a sit on top for the same reasons that Jack and others have stated above. I like to jump in and out a lot and that is difficult if you don't have a sit on top. I also like to haul a large shovel, screens, water and food, plus I sometimes carry out large bags of gravel to sort at home.

I bought a very cheap sit on top because I drag the kayak over a lot of logs, rocks and gravel. Eventually I will wear it out and then I'll buy another cheap one. I can't go long distances in mine or take it out on the ocean because it isn't built for that. It would be difficult to take an ocean worthy kayak into the small creeks that I hunt.

Archived