Ramon

I found a 7mm thick layer of sediment which has a different coloration and is hard to break. The layer was running all the way through the hill which was a road cut. I found it near Natural Bridge Caverns in Comal County. I'm not sure if it really is the K-T boundary. I think it is because I found a Turritella Vertebroides which lived in the Latest creataceous period. Please help me Identify it. 

Photo of Kt boundary     quarter for scale                                      ,Thanks

20161126_190501.jpg

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

As you can see the K-Turritella boundary crosses around the place I found it.texas-geologic-areas.jpg

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

The "K-T" boundary is not found in the area you mentioned;) 

@Ramon The cavern area is found in the Edwards Formation.  Your rocks look a little like Buda Formation rocks, but hard to tell from photos.  Do you have photos of the fossils you've found?

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Yes, I might post some pictures.

You can add photos to replies in this topic.  ;)

20170104_231852.jpgTurritella 

What else could it be?         Photo of K-T boundary20170104_233017.jpg

There are many many layers of rock allover the pl;ace that are thin and solid.  The KT boundary is based on the fossils above and below as well as the rock itself.  I'm willing to bet this is not KT boundary.  

I assume when you say "K-Turritella boundary" that is a typo.  K-T stands for Cretaceous-Tertiary.  (Cretcaeous is a K because the C was already used in geology maps.)

• I found this Informative 2

What about the Turritella fossil?

Turritella shaped fossils occur in many different formations in Texas.  I see nothing definitive about the fossil you posted.  :mellow:

Did you look at the geologic map I linked to above?  The Edwards Formation is a Lower Cretaceous formation that surrounds the cavern area.  To the south and southeast, there is a heavily faulted part of the Balcones Fault that exposes other Lower Cretaceous formations and a bit of the Austin chalk.  It is middle Upper Cretaceous, so still a long time before the "K-T".

There are good fossils to be found in that local area.  Best of luck on future hunts.  :)

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for all the Information.