First Day In The New Workshop

DevonianDigger

Just spent the first morning in the new workshop playing with some bugs. Thought I would share day 1 progress.

20170105_132136 (Large).jpg

Eldredgeops rana after first prep session.

20170105_132211 (Large).jpg

Greenops boothi after some basic prep. Missing the cranidium and left librigena unfortunately.

20170105_132321 (Large).jpg

Tiny little Eldredgeops rana, with another little cephalon in association. Thinking this one has the potential to be a nice multi. Usually when I find these tiny little fellas this close together it's a mass mortality. 

• I found this Informative 2

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Nice job, Jay. 

Can't wait to see more. :)

:popcorn:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

27 minutes ago, jpc said:

Oooohhh. can we see a photo of your new space.  i always like to see where others work.

It's not finished yet. Still need to finish putting together more of the equipment. Haven't put in the air filtration setup, and am hoping to add in a photo setup and binocular microscope. It's also not very pretty yet, lol.

20170105_151603 (Large).jpg

20170105_151612 (Large).jpg

20170105_151625 (Large).jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Again, I am so grateful for tff. Just seeing others photos and the different names of the fossils helps mensure learn. 

I'm curious as to a ballpark estimate of fossils found in "sandstone" type sedimentary rock? Almost none of the fossils I have found have been in sandstone or similar. They are in sedimentary though. 

Also, I'm looking for tools a sandblaster and would appreciate any suggestions. If you happen to have a picture of your "tool box", that would be amazing!

Thank you

Julie

9 minutes ago, ArrestedBeauty said:

Again, I am so grateful for tff. Just seeing others photos and the different names of the fossils helps mensure learn. 

I'm curious as to a ballpark estimate of fossils found in "sandstone" type sedimentary rock? Almost none of the fossils I have found have been in sandstone or similar. They are in sedimentary though. 

Also, I'm looking for tools a sandblaster and would appreciate any suggestions. If you happen to have a picture of your "tool box", that would be amazing!

Thank you

Julie

Hey Julie!

Glad you're enjoying TFF. The community here is super!

As for your sandstone question, it's important to understand how each type of rock is formed and what forms it to best understand what types of fossils will be found in them. Sandstone is basically what its name suggest. It's stone that has been made up of fine particles of rock and minerals, essentially, sand. If you picture how sand is blown about by wind and how it is transported by water, it is easier to understand why fossils frequently don't preserve well in Sandstone. The areas where sands are typically found are high energy locations where wind and water wreak havoc on the sediments. Also, sand sediments are particularly porous and water can easily seep through the layers and dissolve materials before the fossilization process can occur. It is possible to find fossils in sandstone, but other sedimentary rocks such as shale and limestone tend to be much more favorable.

As for your sandblaster question. I use a 3.5 gal. air compressor with an air-eraser. It's a relatively cheap, entry-level pairing that works quite well on most soft matrix such as the shale that I work with most.

Compressor: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gal-13-hp-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-61615.html

Air Eraser: http://www.harborfreight.com/air-eraseretching-kit-69277.html

I have a different compressor, but it's the same general idea. It holds enough pressure to work on smaller pieces. I haven't needed to upgrade yet. I also recommend taking a read through the Fossil Preparation pages of the forum. There are many people with probably centuries of combined experience in there who have shared their techniques, tools and tips!

Happy hunting!

Jay

• I found this Informative 2

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Informative doesn't quite cover that awesome info. I am have great difficulty navigating tff...hence my first attempt at fossil I'd ending up as a reply to someone else's. I was actually looking on harbor freight when I decided to check tff, so those links will be amazingly helpful. 

Thank you again

Julie