Mosasaur bone ID

Aurelius

Hello! I recently obtained this Moroccan mosasaur jaw, which has a bone lodged up against it which I can't identify. I'm not very good with mosasaurs (yet). 

The bone is up at the top-left in these images. I had wondered if it was a partial vert, but I don't have the experience with Prognathodon just yet. I think there are some possibly skull elements in the block.

Thanks!

20170105_185408.jpg

20170105_185434.jpg

I agree with jcp. It looks like skull parts. The jaw looks a bit odd as well. Doesn't look like front of the jaw at any rate. Maybe back of the maxilla or pterygoid?

I would suggest cleaning it a little by scraping off some of the sediment with a dental pick. be careful though, Moroccan mosasaur material like this is very soft.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thank you both for the tips!

Olof, you were kind enough to offer me some tips regarding another mosasaur jaw I purchased recently (in the 'identifying fakes' section), and your advice is much appreciated :)

Here's a picture of the whole thing. I'll give the matrix a little scrape with some dental picks and see what I can find.

20170105_120643.jpg

Ah that's a much better photo. Much better lighting. The shape is more visible now. Yeah I think you might have a partial Proganthodon pterygoid (right side?).

Very nice.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

That's a great specimen

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier