Is this an Oyster?

Ramon

20170105_162414.jpg20170105_162535.jpgI was in Monterrey mexico last summer and I was looking for fossils at cerro del las mitras. It's a mountain that is cretaceous in age. I think this fossil is either from the San felipe or mendez formation. The most unusual think is the green coloring!!!

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Hard to say from a fragment, but it looks like it might be part of an Inoceramus clam. 

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Yeah, It looks like one.

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

According to Longoria, J.F., 1998, The Mesozoic ofthe Mexican Cordillera in Nuevo Leon, NE Mexico. In: Longoria, J.F., Krutak, P. R., and Gamper, M.A., eds., Geologic Studies in Nuevo Leon, Mexico. Sociedad Mexicana de Paleontologia, A. C. Special Publication, July 5, 1998, p.  the lithostratigraphy of the mentioned formations are as follows :

San Felipe (Muir, 1936)
The San Felipe is characterized by an irregular alternation of thick-bedded clayey limestone and marls displaying even, continuous, parallel stratification; colors are brownish to black on fresh surfaces and yellowish to brown on weathered surfaces.
Individual beds vary from 40 cm to 1.6 m. Limestones from the San Felipe are clayey biomicrites rich in planktics.
Its chronostratigraphic position varies from Lower Santonian to Upper Campanian. The lower boundary with the Agua Nueva is placed at the point where thin- to medium bedded couplets of the Agua Nueva change to irregular alternations of thick beds. Also the San Felipe lacks bentonite layers and is rich in collophone.

Mendez Shale (Jeffreys, 1910)
The Mendez s.s. is characterized by reddish to yellowish calcareous mudstone displaying conchoidal fracture. In Nuevo Leon the majority of the outcrops referred to the Mendez do not belong to this unit but likely belong to El Cercado Formation.
Typical Mendez is rare outside the Tampico Basin. The Mendez contains abundant planktics and its chronostratigraphic position varies from Lower Campanian to Upper Maastrichtian.

I agree with JohnJ, it is hard to make a proper diagnostic only from a fragment of a shell.
The age could be proper for inoceramids, also for oysters, no doubt, but the way how the longitudinal and transverse ribbings shown their trespass, I'm inclined to believe that it could be an oyster character.

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank for the information abyss under. I agree it is an oyster.