Now on staff at Penn Dixie!

DevonianDigger

I'm excited to share that I have officially joined the staff at the renowned Penn Dixie site. I've managed to turn my hobby, which has been greatly furthered by knowledge gained from the supportive and generous members of TFF, into a job! I am now an educator at the site and will be travelling to regional schools, museums and events to share the wonders of the site with the general public in addition to working at the site during the spring, summer, and fall! So a giant "thank you!" to all the TFF members who have helped me along in my journey thus far! I look forward to seeing many of you this year at the site and chatting with you all online!

-Jay

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Congratulations Jay!

I wish you the best of luck in your new journey! I know first hand how wonderful it feels to be able to turn a hobby into a livelihood.

You will do a fantastic job I am sure!

just make sure you leave some time to let TFF know what kinds of things you have been up to!

-Blake

Thank you, Blake! 

I'm incredibly happy about it! I'm looking forward to learning more, and of course, continuing to do my part on the forum! Now I have an even better excuse—when the Mrs. asks what I'm doing all day on the forum I can just say it's for work! :P

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Wow congratulations!!! 

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Congratulations on your new job! Hopefully I will make it out there this spring and get a chance to meet you. I have wanted to go there for awhile.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

That's what I keep hearing! I'm only a couple hours drive away. I will just have to pull myself away from my local sites 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Well done, Jay! ;) 

Glad you will be doing something you love! 

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Big congrats, Jay! A dream job, for sure. :fistbump:

we'll visit again this spring

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Hi,

Congrats Jay, it is a marvelous news.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

+:crab:  Wonderful, Jay! Your news put a big smile on my face. It's awfully satisfying to work at a job you love. Congratulations. One of these days I really will get up to Penn Dixie. I've been saying that for years.

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Yay! Its especially sweet to get paid for something you like to do. Congrats--and have fun! Regards, Chris 

Thank you again everyone! 

...I better not hear any excuses now about not coming up and visiting the site, lol!

But seriously, for anyone who has been there, you know it's a great time. Your haul will be dictated only by how much you feel like lugging back to your car. For those of you who haven't yet had the opportunity to check it out, I can't recommend it enough if you have any interest in marine invertebrates. In an given day of digging I find at least one, "holy snarge!" specimen that makes me feel like a kid on Christmas morning. 

In spring, there is the "Dig With The Experts" event which has been extended to a full weekend event this year. Paleontologist and geologists from around the world will be there with heavy equipment excavating new portions of the site. This is a great time to come and learn about the geology of the site, and also to reap the benefits of other people's heavy equipment, lol.

For TFF members, I will also be setting up a group dig within a week or two after the DWTE event, so that any of you who can make it can meet up in person and go nuts! We had a small group event toward the end of last season, that if nothing else, was a ton of fun and friends were made. I will put up another post starting the conversation about those dates very soon.

Penn Dixie Dig With The Experts Event:

Sat, May 27, 2017, 9am – Sun, May 28, 2017, 4pm

https://penndixie.org/dig-with-the-experts/

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Archived