PeaceRiver Cookie

Shellseeker

Went out hunting on a prospecting trip, so my expectations were low. In balance, one of my hunting friends has been hunting the Peace River for 50 years and is one of the best at finding new productive locations. The best spot was also the last spot selected.  I did not find many fossils, but the few I did find had excellent quality. First was a horse tooth (M3) and about 2 hours later, my last find seemed to match. 

IMG_1931s.JPG

Also a very nice Giant Armadillo Vert.

IMG_1937s.JPG

Here is my ID request:

IMG_1936s.JPG

IMG_1934s.JPGIMG_1932s.JPG

This would seem to be an Epiphysis. but it is different (thickness, pattern) than the ones associated with whale that I have previously found.. 

All Suggestions appreciated..  Shellseeker

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Based on the fact that I see no large inclusions I am going to rule out Chocolate Chip or any other candy type.

Possibly a sugar cookie, or a snickerdoodle (my favourite!) Those were very common in the Pleistocene from what I hear.

I would be more than happy to give it a solid lick, that may help to narrow it down exactly.

The disc looks pretty thick for whale, at least it is quite a bit thicker than any of the ones I have personally found.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

11 hours ago, ynot said:

I can not remember what they call those...

epiphysis :)

• I found this Informative 2

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

That is a superb armadillo vertebra! Looks like fantastic preservation.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Thanks for the excellent and (even one humorous) feedback!! I also am amazed at the quality of an Armadillo vert.

I have had some time to think about the Epiphysis. An Epiphysis is an unfused part of a mammals vertebrate, and sometimes those from Whales and Dolphins are called "Cookies". I have seen/collected a number of those marine mammal Epiphysis and so I think I know what they look like,

This Epiphysis is somewhat similar to a marine mammal Epiphysis but different. It is nonuniform thicker and not circular pattern on the "flat" side.

I am thinking it is from another mammal. I'll need to check this with Richard Hulbert, 

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Jack, I believe most any juvenile animal will have epiphyseal plates (growth plates) until the animal matures and they fuse to the cenrtum.  I have a elephant cookie that I found in LuLu creek that is huge, and has that same light tan color as all the teeth from there. I doubt you can get a positive ID without the vert that it came from.

Nice when you get a whole one.

Dig gently!

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

When I have a fossil to identify, I start searching and while this (Whale Carpal) may not be my fossil, it is a reasonable candidate,  Usually I delay posting with interim data, but in this case, it is such a fantastic photo, I decided to share immediately!!! How about that Pisiform (B)?

I also think that ynot may appreciate to identify some whale bones (humerus) he is finding.

ATTRIBUTION:

https://peerj.com/articles/1227/

WhaleCarpals.jpg

Figure 12: Carpal elements.

(A) Complete, intact left pectoral limb of Inia geoffrensis (USNM 395602), showing all of the individual osteological elements in articulation. Carpal elements belonging to Isthminia panamensis (USNM 546125) include (B) a possible pisiform; and (C) a likely unciform, with (D) a close up of the carpal bones in (A), for comparison.

• I found this Informative 2

Great whale bone photo, Jack. I agree with the others. From the few epiphyses I've found, this one matches well with the smooth slightly domed outer side and the radially patterned textured inner side where it would have attached to the end of the bone. I also agree that it will likely be difficult to exactly specify which bone of which species this capped off. All you can really tell with a separated epiphysis is that it came from a younger animal before this growth plate fused permanently to the bone when the animal stopped growing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphyseal_plate

Great quality over quantity at your new spot. Love the articulating Equus molars and sweet vert too.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1