Best inclusion in amber

Ramon

This is male mosquito from baltic amber 40-50 million years. This picture was took from a microscope at 40x magnification. Can you guys help me know more about it's Taxonomy.

20170105_201511.jpg 

20170105_201508.jpg

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

1 minute ago, DevonianDigger said:

Well I know nothing about 40myo mosquitoes, I can say with absolute certainty that that is an amazing photo you've got there of a really super specimen!

Thanks!!!

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Nice photo, indeed, but how do you know this is a male mosquito ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

1 hour ago, Kosmoceras said:

Looks like a non-biting midge to me. They're quite common in Baltic amber.

I agree, looks more like a chironomid or non-biting midge. Chaoborus (phantom midges) can look similar, but they have mandibles.

This is a male because it has plumose (hairy) antennae.

It should be possible to get an ID to genus for this. You could try the chironomid homepage: http://www.chironomidae.net/links.html

I'm really familiar with the taxonomy of the larvae as they are commonly preserved as fossils in lake sediments. Sorry I'm not much help with the adults or imagines.

• I found this Informative 4

8 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

I agree, looks more like a chironomid or non-biting midge. Chaoborus (phantom midges) can look similar, but they have mandibles.

This is a male because it has plumose (hairy) antennae.

It should be possible to get an ID to genus for this. You could try the chironomid homepage: http://www.chironomidae.net/links.html

I'm really familiar with the taxonomy of the larvae as they are commonly preserved as fossils in lake sediments. Sorry I'm not much help with the adults or imagines.

Thanks!!! It really does look like a non biting midge.