Coral/Sponge ID from Central Texas

austinswamp

I don't mean to overkill with ID questions ha. Haven't quite been adjusted yet to a forum group that is actually rich with knowledge. I have so much to learn, really stoked this exists. Anyways I found the left item from Walnut Creek in Austin. The rock to the right came from the Pedernales river from a gravel pit.

IMG_20170105_203025.jpg

The partial fossil on the left is most likely the rudist, Sauvagesia texana.  I think the other item is a geologic formation.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

44 minutes ago, austinswamp said:

I don't mean to overkill with ID questions

Not a problem, We like to help others understand what is going on here.

Just for future posts, the more angles You show the better We can tell what You have. A scale (ruler prefered) in the picture also helps.

Tony

PS I agree with JohnJ on this one.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The one on the left is giving me more of an oyster vibe. But you (John) are obviously more in tune with Texas thangs.

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

At first glance, one of the Lophas might look similar; but, this is only a partial 'half cylinder/cone' of Sauvagesia sp.  The texture of the broken top surface, zig-zag growth lines and smooth interior are all distinguishing characteristics. 

Checking things out a bit more, it looks like some of the Sauvagesia species have been combined with Radiolites.  This specimen is a better match for Radiolites acutocostata (page 132).

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I agree with JohnJ, it has a good resemblance with  Radiolites acutocostata.

The original description is in Adkins, W. S. 1930. New rudistids from the Texas and Mexican Cretaceous. The University of Texas Bulletin 3001:77–100, 122–133

(excerpt made by me for a better convenience and further reference)

"

Sauvagesia acutocostata n.sp.

Plate VII, Figures 3-4

Lower valve only; species aparently solitary; holotype practically straight, conical, medium sized, ribbed, cross-section a short oval. The wall is of medium thickness, thin at E and S, thickest dorsally. Inner shale layer thin, smooth, superficially marked by a rectangular network of circular and longitudinal faint striae. The thick middle layer of the shell has a cellular texture and is composed of the usual conical laminae. The cortical layer is thin and smooth, except for faint growth lines and faint longitudinal striae.  (...)

Upper Austin Chalk (probably basal Santonian) : Travis County, Texas, on Little Walnut Creek, about one-fourth mile downstreem from bridge of Austin-Cameron road; collected by Mr. R. W. Cumley, 1929. "

Plate VII.jpg

Plate VII

Figs. 1-2. Durania aguilae n. sp. holotype

Figs. 3-4. Sauvagesia acutocostata n. sp. holotype

Fig. 5.     Eoradiolites quadratus n. sp. paratype

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

If you want to know what kind of shells you can find in Texas, you can also follow this link : http://fossilshells.nl

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

• 7 months later...

The specimen on the right side looks like speleothem, possibly boxwork .

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived