New York Sphenothallus - location?

Wrangellian

Is it possible to narrow down the location for these Sphenothallus sp. from the Whetstone Gulf Formation of New York from just "Lewis Co, NY"? Maybe more about the stratigraphy too (ie. what North American stage of the Ordovician?)

I suppose I could ask the seller but I'm going to assume the info they gave was all they had or were willing to divulge, and I know TFF has a good knowledge base, so...

The info I got was:

Sphenothallus sp.

Upper Ordo (Sandbian),

Whetstone Gulf Fm,

Lewis County, NY.

Also stated this unit is where the pyritized trilos with soft parts preserved come from (not the exact site I guess).

Sphenothallus.jpg

I believe that I read about the trilos you speak of come from an area called Tinton falls. But I will double check when I have time. ( I'm at work right now.)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

14 minutes ago, darctooth said:

I believe that I read about the trilos you speak of come from an area called Tinton falls. But I will double check when I have time. ( I'm at work right now.)

I think you mean Trenton Falls, Dave.  

Tinton Falls is in New Jersey. ;) 

The Lorraine Group (of which the Whetstone Gulf Formation is a part of)  is where the pyritized Triarthrus trilobites come from.

See this PDF.

And this one.

I think your info is good, Eric. :) 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

I think you mean Trenton Falls, Dave.  

Tinton Falls is in New Jersey. ;) 

The Lorraine Group (of which the Whetstone Gulf Formation is a part of)  is where the pyritized Triarthrus trilobites come from.

See this PDF.

And this one.

I think your info is good, Eric. :) 

Regards,

Thanks Tim! That is the exact reason I wanted to double check. I had a feelingi was confusing the name.:D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks, some useful info in those links, but I still can't figure out exactly where in Lewis Co. my piece might be from. The maps provided in papers don't always make that kind of thing obvious.. (no county lines, etc.)

The seller did say the Whetstone Gulf Fm is the same Fm the Triarthrus bugs come out of but I don't want to assume it's the same site. How many sites are there exposing the Whetstone Gulf Fm in Lewis County and which one might my piece have come from?

3 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

The seller did say the Whetstone Gulf Fm is the same Fm the Triarthrus bugs come out of but I don't want to assume it's the same site. How many sites are there exposing the Whetstone Gulf Fm in Lewis County and which one might my piece have come from?

Eric, 

There are 9 different localities, pointed out in the 2nd PDF, where the Whetstone Gulf Fm. outcrops. 

See below.

Plateau-horz.jpg

I've also placed a really rough estimation of the area in the first pic. 

Your fossil appears to be on a matrix that looks much more slate-like than shale like. 

I'd say they probably come from different localities within the same formation. 

I think you would be hard pressed to narrow it down any further than that, unless the collector himself or herself was willing to share that info.

Regards,

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

That narrows it down for sure, Thanks Tim.

OK I'll see what the seller says.

Maybe I don't know what shale is technically, but I would call this shale. I thought slate was metamorphosed shale, and this does not appear to be metamorphosed at all. It's very similar to my local Cretaceous shale (though I've seen that described as mudstone too - who knows?)

Eric, 

Hard to tell from your picture - you would know better having it in hand. 

I just said it looked more slate like, than the black Ordovician shales I have collected in. 

I have a hard time distinguishing between shale and mudstone. 

Then you have the descriptions of Limey-shales, limey mudstones, etc., etc., etc.   ;) 

Regards,

Yes, it does look slatey, I guess that's an appropriate description to distinguish it from the other kinds of shale, but it's not as slatey as the Burgess Shale - that stuff is definitely more like slate but it is still described as 'shale'.  :wacko:

For the record, seller got back to me to say this is from the Martin Quarry in Martinsbug NY.

• I found this Informative 1