Take a risk with further prep or go with the flow

DE&i

Tough call to id this fossil, as when held in my hand and read the geology of the find on the additional note I truly thought it was a Trilobite. But reading the species name on the note I soon realised the fossil has been labelled as a Brachiopod.

Cyrtia exporrecta with original matchbox and label.jpg

Cyrtia exporrecta 1a.jpg

Cyrtia exporrecta 1b.jpg

There is quite a risk if I prep any further to reveal more of the fossil. So do I take the description as face value and see no reason to think the fossil is anything else but what has been written.

Or add a question mark? 

Label note : Cyrtia exporrecta, Wenlock Shales, Usk, Monmouthshire, UK.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

It is a brachiopod. I find similar ones here in New York but I don't know the species.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

It looks like an internal mold, to me, so any further prep probably wouldn't be helpful, I think. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

20 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

It looks like an internal mold, to me, so any further prep probably wouldn't be helpful, I think. 

Regards,

I agree. I get a lot of pentamerids around here that are preserved very similarly to that

Thanks for looking everyone, I think i'm going to have to presume the gentlemen who found this fossil knows his Brachiopods very well. And not alter it in any shape or form as suggested.    

Edited by DarrenElliot
typo

Regards.....D&E&i

I think you're wise to leave it as is.  Tim and Pumpkinhead are right, it is an internal mold, so there is no shell remaining to expose.

You are fortunate to have "inherited" such a diverse collection.  I'm glad you are taking the curation so seriously, obviously the previous owner made a wise choice in entrusting it to you.

Don

Thank you @FossilDAWG for your kind words. 55 matchboxes reconditioned so far with each fossil prepped and accompanying note inside re-written where necessary.

Each find has a story to tell to which i'll never know but I like to imagine. ;)

Regards,

Darren.   

Regards.....D&E&i