Dean Sr

Going through various rocks and fossils I found this one is perplexing found near Fantasy Canyon access road 4"across 7"long and weighs 3.5 lbs. More images forthcoming thanks for looking⚒

20170106_165431.jpg

20170106_165341.jpg

Thanks for your comment yeh it's a bit worn for sure I think this guy petrified in the ancient lake that was in the basin I'll try to send a closeup ⚒

20170106_165730.jpg

20170106_165557.jpg

Thanks Tony for your assessment but it is not weathered limestone it is silicified and there is definite cell structure the white portion is desert caliche 

20170106_165536.jpg

20170106_165508.jpg

I have taken some close-up pictures of the cell structure the material is a dark agate I cleaned the caliche matrix as much as possible with a stiff toothbrush I appreciate your help I'm new to identification of western fossils but not new to collecting ⚒20170108_010230.jpg

20170108_010417_001.jpg

I'm curious .. I will say that in the deserts of California where we get very little rain but wicked wind storms I used to collect these kinds of pitted cobbles .... they were made of agate,chert,metamorphic,sandstone rock etc....  They could kill you if you accidentally lost your footing, but in the marble mountains they were abundant. Here is an image that I found online, my specimens are quite like yours.  Extremely pitted with some of the softer material weathered out, some in beautiful layers.

Didn't know they had a name .. 'ventifacts'  (wind abraded  cobbles) they can be so polished by the wind to have a nice shine depending on the material.

Not sure it's geologic but it might be. 

ventifact1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, Dean Sr said:

Brett thanks for your explanation very possible that that is what I have here !⚒

You can never be sure ... I'll try to climb up in the warren of an attic that I have in the next few days and see if I saved any of them.  The location near the trilobite wilderness near Cadiz, CA had them strewn about and it looked like the face of Mars but they were fascinating.

Cheers,

Brett

PS. Speaking of .. I am quite intrigued with this location in Utah called 'Fantasy Canyon' ... it looks otherworldly !  Definitely a place that looks to get its share of wind.  It does say there is a fossiliferous formation the Eocene-aged Uinta Formation.  Have you collected anything from there ? Is it public land ?

I believe it is a state owned also alot of working oil fields parked the car and walked along the road I found a small piece of turtle carapace that would be eocene I believe very hot that day I had my wife drive along behind me while I hunted I am going to post another fossil bone I found in a dry creek bed near Chloride Arizona pretty sure it's bone but always will respect another opinion thanks Brett !

Dean ⚒