Georgina04

Hi there 

I'm totally new to fossil hunting. I went on my first fossil hunt and found these. They were found on the Northumberland coast in England. The beach was mainly composed of granite and limestone and some shale. Does anybody have any ideas? I was thinking crinoid and coral.

Thank you! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cool finds, definitely fossil, but Tough to identify!!!

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

It's hard to identify this one, it's just so small and worn. They were small pebbles found beside the main bedrock. The place is renowned for fossil corals bit I'm not sure on the first one, I haven't seen anything like it, there's some weird marks trailing behind it too if you look closely, it made me think maybe those were tracks of the creature. 

Welcome to the Forum! :)
Unfortunately the pictures don't have enough details for a correct ID and the dimensions were not specified, but It looks to me, there are septa on terminal ends of some of the specimens embedded in the matrix (pebble or cobble?), which is not characteristic to crinoids. I think, they could be Carboniferous rugose corals. Better pictures, with a higher resolution and a scale, might help in the ID process.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hi 

thank you for your help, I will get some better pictures. I am going fossil hunting tomorrow so I think I will find some better specimens, these were some of my first finds and I got right excited with them lol. It was more of a pebble, the matrix. There were many pebbles in the area with them as well, mainly composed of limestone. There were many fossils like the coral one but the first one I have no idea. 

I do have a camera which I use for photography which I I'll use next time go get the better resolution. I just used my iPad when capturing the pictures on these and the lighting wasn't too good.