Dinosaur egg fossil ID

Georgina04

Hi 

I have a fossil dinosaur egg which was found in China. I have no idea of its species. 

I was thinking maybe a bird like dinosaur or small raptor. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm new to fossil collecting and I have always been wanting a dinosaur egg. I payed quite a bit for this and is genuine. The person I bought it off has had it in his collection for years and said it was part of a clutch found in China. When it was found they weren't sure on the species of dinosaur it was from. 

Thank you! 

image.jpg

I am sorry to disappoint, but I am not seeing any of the eggshell texture that should be there for a dinosaur egg or any other fossilized egg.

Dinosaur eggs are HIGHLY faked due tot he prices they command at auction.

The texture does not look like a dinosaur egg.

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Sorry, not a dinosaur egg. One of the very common fakes you can get in China.

Hope you didn't pay too much.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Agreed, ... not an egg. :( 

image.jpg.75139be0cea636a6f55186090b77a9d7.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

More faked dinosaur eggs:

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I have had this egg identified as genuine but no one had a definite species. They suggested that it may well be that of a bird like dinosaur due to the shape and texture, including where it was discovered. I was maybe thinking about taking it to a museum. the surface is quite rough in texture and there is a tiny crack at the top which you can see the thickness of the egg. It is about 1cm in thickness. 

Good idea to take it to a museum, but I am sure the answer will be the same.

I've seen dozens of them at the flea markets in Shanghai.

This here is another excellent guide from Lowell Carhart - a dealer who once specialized in Chinese fossils - to recognize faked dinosaur eggs:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050401014712/http://www.lowellcarhart.net/ebay/fake.html

Thomas

I agree with the others. Don't look like a fossil egg, to me. Probably is a concretion of some sort. :(

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

If the shell is a centimeter in thickness it definitely is not an egg. The creature would never be able to crack through that much material. It would be like trying to peck through a brick wall. Sorry, but Dino eggs are notoriously faked from China. There are some genuine ones but a vast majority on the market are not biologic at all.

Did the dealer offer any money back guarantee? 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Yes, the postage wasn't expensive either. It was definatley a dinosaur egg according to him and where he got it from. I will look into it further, maybe take it to a museum for further analysis. Thank you so much guys for the replies! I'm a newbie in the field. I love collecting fossils and am building up my collection 

Welcome Georgina, please don't be discouraged if your egg-like object proves a disappointment. I believe you will find this Forum to be a rich source of information and I hope you will find it extremely useful in pursuit of your kindled interest in fossils. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thank you :)

this is my first time on a forum also, I love to share my interest with like minded people. I have a lot to learn as I am new to fossils and collecting and I am very passionate. I will surely be uploading more photos if I am unsure of ID and I would love to share my finds. 

If you have another situation where you are thinking of buying something online, it may be a good idea to post a few pictures of it (don't include seller information) and run it buy our expert assemblage of members for their opinions. It might save you another disappointment.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Archived