Fake ammonite ?

VTinNorthAB

Hi, I am posting a question to help my mom.  She is very fascinated with ammonites after seeing my collection.  She found this one online and she wants it but isn't sure if it's authentic or fake. 

I have a surriceras ammonite with similar markings but I can't personally tell with this one being uncurled.

any help is appreciated 

IMG_5936.PNG

IMG_5937.PNG

IMG_5938.PNG

IMG_5939.PNG

The ammonite might be real but it might have been carved out. But I'm not really sure. :ammonite01:

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

I had a feeling that it may have been carved out.  It almost looks as if it may have had spines that were taken off during extraction

Ok I will tell her to look elsewhere...to me it looks as if it's missing a lot of the fossil

10 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

too me it looks as if it may have been polished as well as carved out.

Yeah, also it was polished.

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

I'm gonna say real but polished. notice how the bumps all have have a darker material in the same place. To me this suggests that on the bumps the actual shell was polished away, revealing the matrix underneath.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Im thinkin real, but worked on.  I think the fragmacone has been added?  Look at the color difference, and the spots also stop right at that point too.  

RB

I agree with the others, real, but pretty heavily worked. It is a cool looking display piece though. If the price was right, I'd probably go for it.

I think this is mostly artwork.  There appears to be sutures in one image, but that may indicate a partial fragment that was added to and carved.  Study documented examples of real heteromorph ammonites to compare against any purchase.  Shape is only one factor to consider.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I would like to see higher resolution images. I doubt either of them is fake. Heteromorphs are often composites, but looking at these images, I see no obvious joins.

It's unusual to see an ammonite that's been sculpted, and usually it's very easy to tell. I would certainly consider either, if the price was right (I imagine they are both expensive, in which case high resolution photos are called for).

I'm trying to help her as best as I can...I don't want her scammed and I live on the other side of the country

As noted in this forum's header, please do not identify the seller in any way.  ;)

The advice you gain on the photos posted should be of some assistance to her.  It's great of you to help her.  :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Archived