Cretaceous teeth collection

Velociraptor99

Over the past 2 to 2 1/2 years I have been assembling this collection of Cretaceous set. I was directly inspired by TFF user Andy, who made a set of the apex predators of the Cretaceous seas and waterways with many of the same species featured in this collection. I would like to give credit to him for this collection idea. Obviously I couldn't travel to Niger, Morocco, or even Kansas, travel is expensive and time is limited. I will plan to go to Kansas one day as my dream location, but for now, Ohio will do.

While this isn't complete, I added fossils from some of my favorite prehistoric creatures. As a fossil hunter/collector, I find that marine reptile and fish teeth interest me the most. 

The species are as follows;

Onchopristus numidus

Tegana formation, Kem Kem Beds, Taouz, Morocco.

acquired in the summer of 2016. This is the only piece of mine that has any repairs. In the future I'll search for one without repairs.

So I say to you, Ask and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and door will be opened for you. -Jesus Christ

Hope you find a good tooth!!!:dinothumb:

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

To continue:

Prognathodon sp.

Khourigba, Morocco,

acquired in the summer of 2015. Is 1.6 inches long.

Spinosaurus marocannus 

Kem Kem Beds, Taouz, Morocco.

acquired in the summer of 2016. It is 1.34 inches long. Belongs to a juvenile individual.

Globiden aegypticus sp. "Shell crushing Mosasaur."

Khouribga, Morocco

Obtained in December 2015.

Specimen is 1 inch long. 

Enchodus libyus

Kem Kem Beds, Taouz, Morcco. 

Specimen is 1.8 inches long.

Obtained December 2016.

Zarafasaura oceanis 

Oulad Abdoun Basin, Morocco.

1.89 inches long. 

This is one of my favorite fossils, and an unaltered one was hard to find. Accquired December 2016

Squalicorax (unknown species)

Kem Kem Basin, Taouz, Morocco. 

1 inch long.

Obtained summer 2015. 

Cretoxyrhina mantelli 

Niobrara Chalk, Grove County, Kansas.

One of my favorite fossils as well. Obtained January 2017. 1 inch long.

Xiphactinus audux 

Niobrara Chalk, Grove County, Kansas. My favorite of the fossils in this set.

Obtained January 2017. Tooth is nearly 2 inches long.

Platypterygius sp.

Icthyosaur tooth.

Kursk, Russia.

Was very hard to find.

Obtained December 2016. .89 inches long.

C. sp.

Pliosaur tooth

Kursk, Russia.

Was also very difficult to find.

Obtained December 2016. 

.69 inches long. The smallest tooth in the collection, probably belonged to a juvenile creature.

Sarcosuchus imperator 

Sahara Desert, Niger.

Obtained December 2016. Found before 2005.

2.1 inches long.

So I say to you, Ask and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and door will be opened for you. -Jesus Christ

Here is a picture of the collection:

image.jpg

I like the sarcosuchus tooth!!!:trilosurprise:

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Nice collection.  I think we have discussed this before on here, but beware of teeth labeled 'Sarcosuchus'.  The best way to ID isolated Sarcosuchus teeth is by size.  It was a huge beast with teeth bigger than 2 inches.   And there are a whole flock of different croc known from the Cret  of Niger.  While I am not saying this isn't Sarcosuchus, I would label it as Sarcosuchus with a ?, cuz it could be one of the other Niger crocs.    

• I found this Informative 4

Yea I realized that when searching for a large crocodilian tooth. Thankfully the tooth is slightly larger than two inches long. Later I'll post a picture of each different specimen.

Very nice! Glad I could provide some ideas. Cretaceous predators are awesome, aren't they?

Russian ichthyosaur and pliosaur are difficult to get, you deserve compliments for finding a pair of lovely specimens. To add on to your collection, Moroccan pterosaur and several mosasaur species are readily available at decent prices.

You could also consider fitting everything into a large riker box. I use a 16x12x2 inch riker for mine; it only cost roughly 22 USD for me including delivery.

Rikerpictures1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Great collection!!

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

• 4 months later...
On 07/01/2017 at 4:35 AM, Velociraptor99 said:

Au cours des 2 dernières à 2 1/2 ans , j'assemble cette collection de série du Crétacé. Je me suis inspiré directement par TFF utilisateur Andy, qui a fait un ensemble des prédateurs du sommet des mers du Crétacé et les cours d' eau avec un grand nombre des mêmes espèces figurant dans cette collection. Je voudrais lui donner du crédit à cette idée de collecte. Il est évident que je ne pouvais pas se rendre au Niger, au Maroc, ou même du Kansas, Voyage est cher et le temps est limité. Je l' intention d'aller au Kansas un jour, mon lieu de rêve, mais pour l' instant, l' Ohio ferai.

Bien que ce n'est pas complète, j'ai ajouté des fossiles de quelques-unes de mes créatures préhistoriques préférées. En tant que chasseur de fossiles / collectionneur, je trouve que l'intérêt reptile marin et des dents de poissons me le plus. 

Les espèces sont les suivantes;

Onchopristus numidus

Tegana formation, Kem Kem, Taouz, Maroc.

acquis à l'été 2016. Ceci est la seule pièce de la mine qui a toutes les réparations. Dans l'avenir, je vais chercher un sans réparations.

Issu de Taous ,Morocco

IMG-20170402-WA0039.jpg

Yeah, there was a time (1990's) when it was not difficult to find a large, unrepaired Onchopristis numidus rostral spine for sale.  In the US, your best bet was to attend the Tucson shows in February or the Denver shows in September.  These days, you see mostly broken ones and poorly-repaired ones for sale as if the sites are no longer producing.  However, you do still see Carcharodontosaurus teeth and other Kem Kem goodies for sale.  I get the feeling that the large spines were not that common, but because so many people were digging, the supply covered the demand for years until maybe about 10-15 years ago.

One thing is certain: Onchopristis is not common elsewhere.  You can find spines occasionally from Albian sites (a few million years older than the Kem Kem) in Texas and France but they are from a smaller species (O. dunklei).  You just have to find a French or Texas collector willing to part with one.

On 1/7/2017 at 6:34 PM, -Andy- said:

Very nice! Glad I could provide some ideas. Cretaceous predators are awesome, aren't they?

Russian ichthyosaur and pliosaur are difficult to get, you deserve compliments for finding a pair of lovely specimens. To add on to your collection, Moroccan pterosaur and several mosasaur species are readily available at decent prices.

You could also consider fitting everything into a large riker box. I use a 16x12x2 inch riker for mine; it only cost roughly 22 USD for me including delivery.

Rikerpictures1.jpg

andy, did you buy your cretaceous set from this guy? the pliosaur and ichthyosaur teeth look identical to yours.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png