Mosasaur Tooth in composite matrix?

avenger

Hi folks!

I'm just getting started on fossil collecting, and have bought a few small things at rock shops. Just bought something online, and I was hoping to confirm it is what I understand it to be.  To my beginner eye, I think I have a pretty good sized Mosasaur tooth (not sure what type) in one of those composite matrix setups.  I'm leaning towards it having been stained or painted a little too to bring out the tooth.  Not sure on that point though.  Just one small spot on the matrix in front of the tooth point that glows in black light.  Everything else has no glow.

Here are some photos.  Paid about $50 for this, no clue if that's way too much or not.  I liked the look of it, and even if composite matrix they did a really nice job making it attractive for a shelf IMO.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

mo_measure.jpg

mo1.jpg

mo2.jpg

mo3.jpg

mo4.jpg

mo5.jpg

mo6.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

I can't help with the ID, but the matrix and fossil look real to me. The fossils in fake matrix usually look too good to be true, perfectly positioned and orientated. The fake matrix is powdered up rock mixed with glue I believe so it wouldn't have the inclusions or bits of other stuff like bone and phosphate nodules like yours does.

Enjoy your new fossil!

Definitely real. Nice decently sized tooth. Fairly good size though not huge. Good quality too.

Teeth are pretty common so it's generally not worth it to fake. And I think you're right spot on with it being stained a little. I've only seen a tooth stained once before. I saw it on a badly damaged tooth where much of the enamel was gone. The staining hid the damage a little. It wasn't done very good. Your tooth only has some little damage to enamel to the front of the tooth which is really common. I counted it once and if I remember correctly around 60% of my mosasaur teeth had that same type of damage on the front of the tooth. I don't know the cause but it's possible that this damage has to do with feeding.

It's possible that it hasn't been stained and that the brown colouration on the enamel damage is natural. But it looks a little too perfect in colour to be natural. So I agree that it's been stained. I suppose it kinda makes the tooth prettier but it also kinda distracts from the enamel damage which might have happened during the life of the animal. So you could try to carefully remove the staining or leave it as is.

Also very much looks like a Prognathodon sp. tooth.

I can also spot a fish vert in the matrix on the side.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thanks guys for you help!  I really appreciate it.  When starting out on something new where there are people out there that take advantage of beginners, it's such a great thing to have help from those with some experience. :)

That's really exciting to hear the matrix looks good.  I figured it was just some composite put together for presentation.  It's amazing how holding something from the past connects a person to it far more than just reading about it.

Thanks again folks for taking the time to respond to my thread and sharing your knowledge with me.

It's real, don't worry.

$50 USD is a tad on the high side, but it's bigger than the average mosasaur tooth too. It's a great looking fella, so enjoy it :)

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Archived