Yes, another mosasaur jaw. Real?

Max-fossils

Hello all!

I saw this mosasaur jaw, and I'm wondering whether the bone is real. The teeth look pretty real to me, and they probably are because those are not worth faking; but I'm really not sure about the bone...

The seller admits that glue was used for the jaw, but no restoration or enhancement. Also, I'm wondering whether the teeth come from the jaw or are separate teeth just glued on.

I'd like your thoughts on this!

Best regards,

Max

57aa4c9c-cea4-11e6-9502-d84d719d9d7c.jpg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Yes it looks real. Looks pretty beat up though. But I think we're looking at the outside of the jaw. Left side of the photo would be the front of the jaw. From just this one photo I can't tell for sure if this is either dentary (lower jaw) or maxilla (upper jaw). The teeth look as they should but it's hard to tell from just one photo that isn't even at a very high resolution. I'd say it looks good but it wouldn't hurt to ask for better photos. As well as photos from the other side and closeups of where the teeth meet the roots.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Ditto to what Lord Trilobite said.

Better pics will help. Let us see the other side if possible.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 1/7/2017 at 1:20 PM, LordTrilobite said:

Yes it looks real. Looks pretty beat up though. But I think we're looking at the outside of the jaw. Left side of the photo would be the front of the jaw. From just this one photo I can't tell for sure if this is either dentary (lower jaw) or maxilla (upper jaw). The teeth look as they should but it's hard to tell from just one photo that isn't even at a very high resolution. I'd say it looks good but it wouldn't hurt to ask for better photos. As well as photos from the other side and closeups of where the teeth meet the roots.

20 hours ago, RJB said:

Ditto to what LordTrilobite said.

9 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Ditto to what Lord Trilobite said.

Better pics will help. Let us see the other side if possible.

Alright, thanks guys! Here's a pic from the other side; I think it looks a little bit more fishy.

Unfortunately I can't ask for better pics, because I don't know how to contact the seller.

Thanks again,

Max

591c3202-cea4-11e6-8a07-e27eff14578b.jpg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Still looks good. This is definitely a lower left jaw.

My only real question would be the lump of matrix on the left in this photo. There seems to be an excess of sediment on there. Maybe to make it seem more complete than it is? Otherwise this thing looks good. It's still pretty beat up. but possibly with some cleaning it could become a pretty nice looking piece. So I'd say go for it if you feel the price is right.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

4 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Still looks good. This is definitely a lower left jaw.

My only real question would be the lump of matrix on the left in this photo. There seems to be an excess of sediment on there. Maybe to make it seem more complete then it is? Otherwise this thing looks good. It's still pretty beat up. but possibly with some cleaning it could become a pretty nice looking piece. So I'd say go for it if you feel the price is right.

Alright, thanks a lot!

Max Derème

Archived