Ramon

I bought this ammonite in San luis potosi, Mexico. It comes from the geological formation of Taman. Which is late Tithonian- kimmeridgian in age. This ammonite looks weird!!! Can you'all help me identify the genus.20170107_164824.jpg20170107_164827.jpg

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Okay, I'll post some new photos!!!

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Here they are!!!

20170107_165810.jpg

20170107_165802.jpg

That sure is a strange looking one. Never seen anything like it before. The way the ribs go in opposite directions on the inner and outer whorls is confusing, even somewhat suspect. It almost looks like a smaller one has been fit into the larger one.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I'm thinking Taramelliceras!!!:ammonite01:

I'm not so sure. It's certainly not a T. canaliculatum if that's what you're thinking. Wrong stratigraphy and a different sculpture and form. Please post photos of the venter and the aperture.

One of the stragest, I agree. The ribs goes in the same orientation but with different curvature. I think Ramon is very close to the ID, also you Roger. Ochetoceras zio (Oppel), would be an excellent match.

image001.jpg

Seeing the resemblance I would say...Wow!

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I think I might have found something. Check out Ochetoceras, particularly O.zio.  I believe they ranged up into the Tithonian.

Yeah it really does look like it!!! And it lived in mexico too.

I checked fossilworks.org, ochetoceras cf. Neohispanicum is found in the Taman formation of san luis potosi, Mexico!!!

Then you must have noticed that the stratigraphy is Kimmeridgian rather than Tithonian. That would fit better. Did you find a photo of the type specimen in the UNAM?

7 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Then you must have noticed that the stratigraphy is Kimmeridgian rather than Tithonian. That would fit better. Did you find a photo of the type specimen in the UNAM?

Yeah, I was wrong about the age. I found this picture of an Ochetoceras from the Taman formation.image008.jpg

Yeah, finally!!!

4 minutes ago, StormDancer said:

That is unusual, never seen one like it.....Nice

Thanks, StormDancer!!!

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The species could be Ochetoceras Mexicanum. Although many species have been found from there. 

Photos of Ochetoceras Mexicanum

image001.jpg

image005.jpg

Here's some photos of Ochetoceras Mexicanum and my fossil.

20170110_164400.jpg

20170110_164716.jpg20170110_164613.jpg

You have the specimen in your hand.  You could see details that others can't see. Considering the latest revision , I think you could put a label to your nice ammonite, also, it has a good resamblance with your last comparative pictures. I couldn't say more than this, but the details you could find in all of the references might lead you to conclude properly, I think.
 Really nice one! Thanks for uncover it from the shade. :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 1 month later...

Guys, now I'm really confused!!! :headscratch:

So, I found this picture of an ammonite. It said it from the jurassic of Mexico. It looks just like mine. It is labeled as Anispiceras. I haven't been able to find anything else on the genus Anispiceras. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Anispiceras_technivquis.JPG.ff783054012dc5fd326520c118102c3b.JPG

And could this be a synonym of Ochetoceras zio???

3 hours ago, Ramon said:

Guys, now I'm really confused!!! :headscratch:

So, I found this picture of an ammonite. It said it from the jurassic of Mexico. It looks just like mine. It is labeled as Anispiceras. I haven't been able to find anything else on the genus Anispiceras. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Never heard of that. I think you've got some "fake news" there. Nothing unusual in the internet.

What a shame!!! This ammonite and mine look exactly alike!!! There probably the same taxa. I wish they would label it right!!!

Archived