Fossil Hunting at Walton on the Naze 29 Dec - 2 Jan 2017

FunkyMonkey

Hi,

Had a family break at Waton on the Naze, Essex over the New Year period and spent 5 mornings combing the beach with the wife and kids. It was remarkably unproductive on most days (as well as freezing!) and so our usual haul was very much reduced. This is what we found:

Glycymeris and a couple of Turritella - Red Crag

IMG_2530.JPG

A few nice examples of sharks teeth (striatolamia) - London Clay

IMG_2529.JPG

..and my personal favourite, a piece of whale bone (balaena sp) from the unconformity between the Red Crag and London Clay. Apparently the waxy appearance is a giveaway but what causes it hasn't been explained to me.

IMG_2527.JPG

IMG_2528.JPG

Hopefully we'll find a lot more next time.

Nice finds. Looks like you did OK.

We have some of the Glycymeris  types over in this part of the planet as well. Yep I pick up bones too from around here to take back home and look at closer to see if there might be any predation marks or other oddities. Alot of bone is very dense and when tumbled along in sand/pebbles on the beach or in streams they pick up a very nice smooth polished waxy look. Usually when they are that polished thevye lost any predation marks but sometimes they still retain borings and sometimes acquire other more recent invertebrate activitiy--barnacles, tube worms, etc which still fascinate me. 

Good luck next outing! 

Regards, Chris 

Thanks for the comments and the description of the waxy finish. I almost threw the bone as another piece of fossilised wood (the beaches are strewn with it). Now I have my eye in and know what I'm looking for hopefully there'll be more to come. The thought of holding in your hand a part of an animal that lived, thought and died millions of years before we evolved blows my mind.

Regards,

Carl

5 minutes ago, FunkyMonkey said:

The thought of holding in your hand a part of an animal that lived, thought and died millions of years before we evolved blows my mind.

Regards,

Carl

This is exactly why fossil hunting is so enjoyable to me too!  Nice finds!

Great finds !

I live the color of those shark teeth ! Congrats :ighappy:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Archived