Snail fossil or modern snail ?

Napoleon North

Hi this is fossil snail?

I found it in the cave. It was full of bones and droppings but rather contemporary.

Shell dug out of silt cave

IMG_2548.JPG

IMG_2549.JPG

It is probably from Quaternary sediments, not Jurassic. The cave sediments of the region were accumulated from the Late Pleistocene - onward, and looks like a land snail.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Doesn't look mineralized, to me. 
Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It looks "Alive".

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

It looks recent due to the color, but I caution everyone to be careful calling items like this as recent based on looks alone. A more detailed location and an in depth literature review might be a better way to know for sure. For example, attached is a picture of a Pleistocene land snail that I found (Triodopsis sp.) that is still extant, but was found within formation. It looks recent, but a literature review on Pleistocene land gastropods from loess deposits across North America shows otherwise, with carbon dating putting the snails as Late Pleistocene, regardless of the level of mineralization.

snail1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I study recent and Quaternary malacology and your specimen is recent because of the shine (some specimen form Quaternary deposits keep their colour).

I'am sure it is an Oxychilidae and you can see 2 genus Oxychilus & Aegopinella. To identify it more precisely I need profil picture, size and my bay to compare it with well identify specimen.

Oxychilus species are difficult to identify but species present in Poland are : O.cellairus, O.draparnaudi,  (the two most commons species) but also O.glaber O.translucidus. The apex of Oxychilus is flattened. It would be also an Aegopniella nitidula.

TNCollector, great shell !!! :wub: If you (or anybody else) have others shells recent or quaternary in exchange againts invertebrates fossils (from France) it would be great ! 

Regards,

Bathollovian

Looks like one of those diminutive modern terrestrial gastropods commonly called glass snails, true glass snails, or even garlic glass-snails.

Archived