Our Favourite...Keichosaur!

FossilDudeCO

Alright I know, I should know better.

But the price was right and I was having a good week so I needed something to shatter my hopes and dreams.

That out of the way.

Listed as a "US acid - prepped specimen"

DSCN4423.JPG

Self explanatory.

Image2.jpg

Back Right foot

Image3.jpg

Tippy Tip of the tail

Image4.jpg

Right ribs

My biggest question is the specks of material between the ribs.

Is this common on real Keichosaurs?

To me on the overall picture they appear to be the ends of the ribs broken off from the underside.

I will also note that almost every bone on this little guy is 3D above the rock surface. I was having trouble getting a good side view with my camera, I will try again, but figured you could all start with these!

Thanks much as always,

-Blake

28 minutes ago, StevenJDennis said:

here's a picture of the ribcage on one of mine..

keichousaurus5.JPG

It isn't loading for me sadly!

9 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

so...60 views and a very nice research paper...

Any opinions on mine?

Looks good: the toes are genuine and not painted, the tail is complete. Definitely a good one - congrats.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

1 hour ago, oilshale said:

Looks good: the toes are genuine and not painted, the tail is complete. Definitely a good one - congrats.

awesome Thomas thank you again!

20 minutes ago, britishcanuk said:

I put a bid in on this one. Looks awesome, your photos are far better than the sellers! Congrats.

Hopefully you weren't the one I beat out literally with 1 second left!

I was a bit nervous because of the sellers photos, but the price made it worth the risk for me!

No, I bid low because I will be out of town for a couple of weeks and would have probably missed its delivery date (my WIFE would have received it before me GASP!) so it wasn't a serous bid. I liked the look of the feet on this one so figured what the heck. I have lost my share of auctions because of those last second bids though lol!

Looks good to me too.

Better than the usual you see off eBay for sure.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I don't see any red flags. Looks nice, congrats!

You can take a pick (or paper clip) and gently scrape along a rib in the matrix to see if you can uncover any more bone looking through a loop.  @snolly50had recommended that to me when I purchased mine in the spring and helped reassure me.

Definitely real. Nice looking lizard! My Keich's rib cage also has these small pieces of bone throughout. 

7 hours ago, Laboratary FODERE said:

not acid prep but all is natural, prepped with sandblaster or dremel.

Laboratary FODERE's Keichousaurus specimens are the best I've ever seen online. I would take his word.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Seems to be a semi-adult one - nice piece.

Matrix is fine for this layer with Keich's (there are several different ones) as can be seen by photos - typically whitish filled cracks in a very hard, dark-grey to black matrix (horrible to prep..).  

You should check the transitions between cracks and matrix/bones. Sometimes this is used to glue parts of two specs together (seems not to be the case here, but photos are a little bit blurry concerning this detail).

Currently best paper (in my opinion) concerning Keichs was already mentioned. Details about ribs were explained correct.

Congrats,

Pemphix

23 hours ago, Laboratary FODERE said:

not acid prep but all is natural, prepped with sandblaster or dremel.

This keichousaurus was initially prepared in China using typical methods, but, as the description states, it was finish prepped with muriatic acid here in the US to get the bones slightly more 3D and detailed. No doubt Laboratory Fodere's keichousaurus are the best anywhere, but, I think they are started from unpreppared specimens, allowing the potential for proper prep from the start. Wish I could find a source for these!

Thank you very much for the preparation :) When I will have prepared keichousaurus I put pictures on forum ;)

• 1 year later...

Hello. I found a Keichosaur specimen for sale from a seller online. Does this look real to you?

Thanks for your expert opinions.

keicho1.jpg

keicho2.jpg

keicho3.jpg

3 hours ago, Mojosa said:

Hello. I found a Keichosaur specimen for sale from a seller online. Does this look real to you?

Thanks for your expert opinions.

keicho1.jpg

keicho2.jpg

keicho3.jpg

I do know this seller personally and would be very surprised if it is not 100% as advertised. Looking at the pictures there are no red flags from me. 

Archived