September 2016 Trip to our Eocene/Oligocene Nebraska Ranch

MarcoSr

6 hours ago, TNCollector said:

Oh wow! Send me a link! I might try it out sometime!

5 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

I second that.

I would be interested if you will share the info.

I'm not involved at all with the paid fossil trips to the ranch so I don't know a lot of specifics.  I'll get some information from my son and PM you with it.  I know there will be a few trips in 2017 starting in June.  When we get a lot of rain the ranch has lots of things that uncover.  2015 was an incredible year.  We got very little rain in 2016 and not as much uncovered.  My sons are very experienced in collecting the badlands so they still found a lot in 2016 but most other less experienced collectors didn't.  I'm not that interested in the macro stuff and as long as I can find new anthills I can find the micros that I'm interested in, rain or no rain.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

5 hours ago, darctooth said:

Definately the cats meow!

My sons have a number of other cats.  I just happen to have the pictures of these two found in 2015 that the prepper sent to show progress on them at the time.  Here is another picture that I have of another cat and a pig from another ranch.

1512481_575391055865189_1615672362_n.png

Marco Sr.

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

25 minutes ago, RCW3D said:

Absolutely incredible, I'm completely awed by your posts!

Rob

Thank you.  The Nebraska ranch definitely has different specimen types than those that I'm used to from Virginia.

Marco Sr.

5 hours ago, smt126 said:

These finds are just amazing. The prep work is amazing too. You could open your own museum lol

Thank you.  My younger son's basement actually looks like a museum display area filled with specimens that he personally collected.  All of my really nice macro stuff is in boxes in my basement.

Marco Sr.

Excellent pics as always Marco, and those saber tooth cats....:envy:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

All of this is absolutely amazing...:drool:

How can you find such cool things?! 

God I wish I could make a trip there and hunt myself...

Congrats on the finds!

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Thanks for sharing this with us! Very impessive! Although there doesn't seem to be much in the way of agricultural activity out there, you certainly do have a rich harvest. You say "ranch". Do you keep cattle?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

5 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Thanks for sharing this with us! Very impessive! Although there doesn't seem to be much in the way of agricultural activity out there, you certainly do have a rich harvest. You say "ranch". Do you keep cattle?

Thank you.  Our ranch was a part of a larger cattle ranch that was sold in two separate pieces in 2016.  Our ranch is almost all badlands with only around 100 acres of grasslands.  The other piece is almost all grasslands.  The new owner of the other piece is running cattle on his piece and on ours.

Marco Sr.

6 hours ago, jcbshark said:

Excellent pics as always Marco, and those saber tooth cats....:envy:

Jeff

Saber cats are some of my favorite species from the Nebraska badlands.  Although I think the Archaeotherium, an Eocene/Oligocene pig, is my favorite.  I included a picture of one in one of my replies.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, Vieira said:

Thanks for sharing.

Amazing.

Absolutely fantastic :drool:

5 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

All of this is absolutely amazing...:drool:

How can you find such cool things?! 

God I wish I could make a trip there and hunt myself...

Congrats on the finds!

Best regards,

Max

4 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Amazing Marco, many thanks! :D

Thank you.  I've collected fossils at sites all over the United States but our Nebraska ranch is now my favorite site.

Marco Sr.

15 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Thank you.  I've collected fossils at sites all over the United States but our Nebraska ranch is now my favorite site.

Marco Sr.

That's not surprising! It's such an incredible location!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

As always some wonderful micro and other finds. The photographs as always are exquisite showing all the fine details.

Definitely a site for my bucket list.

Mike D'Arcy

2 hours ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

As always some wonderful micro and other finds. The photographs as always are exquisite showing all the fine details.

Definitely a site for my bucket list.

Mike D'Arcy

Mike

Thank you.  Definitely an incredible fossil site.

Marco Sr.