Serrations per mm

FossilDudeCO

As most of you know by now, I am hosting a World Oceans Day.

Beyond Eocene lake fish I am pretty ignorant. SOOOO this is a learning experience for me as well.

I know people use a serration per mm count to ID dinosaur teeth that are closely related.

Can this be done for shark teeth? because to me, a lot of them look similar.

Are there any other teeth out there that we can use a serration per mm count to ID?

Some of the larger shark teeth are highly variable in terms of serration size and number, not sure about smaller shark teeth.

I assume you mean larger teeth confirmed of the same species?

That is interesting, I wonder why it is considered so reliable only for Dino teeth if modern species and other fossils show such variations.

Good question!!! It might be possible however, this can turn out problematic because some tyrannosaurids from example have the same serrations per mm. So, sometimes this can be inaccurate.

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

7 minutes ago, Ramon said:

Good question!!! It might be possible however, this can turn out problematic because some tyrannosaurids from example have the same serrations per mm. So, sometimes this can be inaccurate.

Check this out, Tyrannosaurid teeth from the Lomas Coloradas Formation, Cabullona Group (Upper Cretaceous) Sonora, México. You can find this at www.ResearchGate.net

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Check out the paper Quantifying a possible miocene phyletic change in Hemipristis teeth, all about hemipristis shark teeth serrations over time

Archived