Ramon

I found this here in Houston there were a bunch of rocks. They probably were transported from central Texas. I was split them up and I found a "ball". I think this is a fossil from a marine creature.20170108_133212.jpg20170108_133219.jpg

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

I tried to clean up the photo a bit.

Still too blurry to make out any details. 

20170108_133212.jpg.63e1e847219036dd39756339928c2c9b.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I circle the "Fossil". There's a circular object.20170108_134644.jpg

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Here's another photo.20170108_135229.jpg

what is the size of the specimen in question Ramon?

It could be part of a gastropod shell, but almost seems too round and perfect honestly

Just under a cm about 9 mm

1 minute ago, FossilDudeCO said:

what is the size of the specimen in question Ramon?

It could be part of a gastropod shell, but almost seems too round and perfect honestly

Have you looked at it with a magnifying glass? Any chance its an echinoid? Is it it possible to see any petals/ individual plates/ornamentation, etc? 

Regards, Chris 

7 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

Have you looked at it with a magnifying glass? Any chance its an echinoid? Is it it possible to see any petals/ individual plates/ornamentation, etc? 

Regards, Chris 

I was thinking that it was an echinoid. I have looked through it with a magnifying glass and even my microscope with 40x. It does not show any signs of plates, ornamentation, or petals. It's perfectly round. It's very weird!!! 

Yep Intriguing. Might be some type of concretionary mass but my mind wants to make it organic...Can it be prepped and removed to possibly expose the other side and possibly offer some other diagnostic ID clues? 

Regards, Chris

The rock is very, very hard!!! I can barely split the rocks open with a hammer.

Dampen the rock and see if you can make out any extra details under the scope.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

8 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Dampen the rock and see if you can make out any extra details under the scope.  ;)

No detail still. I think it might be a concretion, rather than a fossil.

• 1 month later...

Could it be something like an inoceramid pearl??? It looks exactly like the one in the picture. 

pearla.jpg.d5ff342db8304222c55485fc05ee61f7.jpg

On 1/9/2017 at 10:17 PM, Ramon said:

No detail still. I think it might be a concretion, rather than a fossil.

I think that is probably it. The Pleistocene Presumpscot formation in southern Maine is full of them.

IMG_4067.JPG

My first impression was Porosistis globularis, very worn.

They are found in the Glen Rose formation and it is not very hard material, but I have not been to every exposure.

Just my two cents and that is probably

all its worth.

Jess B.

It kind of looks like  Porosistis globularis algae ball to me also. I find them in central texas around Spring Branch. See attached picture.

algeal ball.jpg

I think there are not enough details to make a clear conclusion regarding to the specimen in question.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived