What ammonite?

Ramon

I Know I have done a What Ammonite? before, and this one is probably not going to be the last one. I bought this ammonite. I want to know more about it's Taxonomy. I don't know the age, or the locality where it was found. It measures 1.25 cm. 

20170108_191909.jpg

20170108_191923.jpg

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Judging by the sutures this one is not an ammonite. It is an ammonoid though, possibly a goniatite. Start your search with choices that were around before the Messozoic Era.

Where are you buying fossils from that you are not getting information with it. I was curious about this with your trilobite post. You said you bought them at a museum and the only information on them was they were from morocco. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

3 minutes ago, darctooth said:

Where are you buying fossils from that you are not getting information with it. I was curious about this with your trilobite post. You said you bought them at a museum and the only information on them was they were from morocco. 

I bought them all from the Houston Museum of Natural Science. Even thought it's a museum they don't put much information. 

4 minutes ago, BobWill said:

Judging by the sutures this one is not an ammonite. It is an ammonoid though, possibly a goniatite. Start your search with choices that were around before the Messozoic Era.

Thanks for the ID!!!

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

There is nothing wrong with purchasing fossils without information attached. I used to do it all the time when I first got into the hobbie. I did the same with mineral specimens.  Sometimes when something looks "cool" you just can't pass it up. But now I won't purchase anything unless there is info with it.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Just now, darctooth said:

There is nothing wrong with purchasing fossils without information attached. I used to do it all the time when I first got into the hobbie. I did the same with mineral specimens.  Sometimes when something looks "cool" you just can't pass it up. But now I won't purchase anything unless there is info with it.

Next time, I buy a fossil I'm going to make sure it has all the information I want to know!!!

I would like to see a clear picture of the sutures. 

Try taking the pictures outside, in natural sunlight/daylight.

Also, try taking the pictures from directly above the fossil, rather than at this oblique angle. 

The sutures look fairly complicated to me, from the pictures provided. :unsure:

2017009.jpg            Reverse_191909.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

I would like to see a clear picture of the sutures. 

Try taking the pictures outside, in natural sunlight/daylight.

Also, try taking the pictures from directly above the fossil, rather than at this oblique angle. 

The sutures look fairly complicated to me, from the pictures provided. :unsure:

2017009.jpg            Reverse_191909.jpg

Will do

I think the origin of this one is Madagascar - they sell bulk lots of these to commercial dealers. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yes, the sutures on the flank do look more folded than what I was seeing on the venter. It does appear to have ammonitic folds.

I'm pretty sure it's an ammonite, Bob. Although the sharpness of the photo is far from ideal, I believe that I can see ammonoid suture lines in Tim's improved pictures. It could be that Michele is on the right track with Phylloceras. It could be from Morocco but you'll probably never know for sure, since I've seen that extremely common genus with that type of preservation from sites all over the world. Phylloceras existed through a good number of ages and was distributed worldwide.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Definitly an ammonite. The Genus Phylloceras is correct. It show the typical lobes. I guess upper Jurassic or lower Cretaceous from age. Maybe from France?

The sutures kind of look like the Ceratitic.

sutures.GIF

They are not so complicated as those from Ammonitic. 

It looks exactly like this one. You can find it at  http://www.gaultammonite.co.uk/pages/ammonoidea/phylloceras_sp.htm it has been labeled as Phylloceras sp. From England. The size is 22 mm mine is around 1cm. The sutures look exactly like mine. I agree with those who say it's Phylloceras. It might be related to this species or a similar one.Phylloceras_sp.jpg

Archived