Got me stumped! Pleistocene bone from Australia

Ash

Hey guys. Still working on this one but hoping someone can tell me what the heck it is? No idea.

32053671242_14b7c69959_z.jpg

31361026294_9479e59df8_z.jpg

32164303456_eb2f1c3f7a_z.jpg

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Alrighty, done. Still no idea lol..

31395322543_0f144dd53d_z.jpg

31364361464_1985800953_z.jpg

32205675175_f59a8e907c_z.jpg

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Maybe some kind of spinous process....

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

A nurse said "maybe something to do with the spine?" So possibly on to something there. Just need to work out where and what! It's a noggin' scratcher.

I'm probably way off, but it reminds me of part of the neural arch and dorsal process of a vertebra.

2017-01-09 18.04.13.png

• I found this Informative 1

By golly i think you're right!

That's the only thing I could think of too - a neural arch from a vertebra. Looking at skeletons from Australian Pleistocene fauna and the scale of your find, I was thinking something like Diprotodon.

Just trying something here. Here's a 3D model of a Diprotodon in the form of a point cloud in SketchFab. Shame its not so useful in closeup as it is a point cloud.

It would make for useful reference material if you could convert the point cloud into a surface. From what I've seen on here I'm sure someone in the TFF community would know how to do this......

https://sketchfab.com/models/5e103923ef904d6cabe3f1b1104ddfd3/embed

[sketchfab]5e103923ef904d6cabe3f1b1104ddfd3[/sketchfab]
Diprotodon optatum by CVAST on Sketchfab

Embedding didn't work, but you can follow the links to see a 3D model that you can rotate here's a screen shot.

I wonder if the vertebral processes would be big enough??

Diprotodon 3D render.jpg

Yep! Partial Diprotodon Thoracic vertebra. This one looks to be early in the series as I think I can see the tell tale signs of a bifurcated neural spine.You can just see them behind the scapula in Dr Mud's 3D image above. They make a little 'Y' shape on the point of the process. 

• I found this Informative 2

Many thanks, everyone!