First hunt of the new year in Savannah Ga

MCG DAWG

I know I really have the bug now.  For 20 years I've spent the last weekend of deer season in SE Ga on a friends farm for a hunt with some college buddies.  Always a great time.  This year I realized it was only 60 or so miles to Savannah GA where I've had some luck hunting a popular dredge spoil location for teeth.  So instead of laying around mid day the past Friday as we usually do, I loaded up two buddies and we headed off.

Hurricane Matthew had sculpted away a lot of the beach area that usually produced a lot of teeth but we still had some good luck.  In a couple of hours we found over 100 teeth overall and I found my second megalodon, albeit a small one. Also got a really nice hemi which at 1.75 inches is bar far my largest of that type. 

The meg had some great lightening coloration.  Imagine my surprise when I looked at the in situ pic and saw what appears to likely be a nice mako stuck in some matrix just above it.  I completely missed that due to my heart stopping when I first saw the meg.  

Good start to a new year of tooth hunting.  Next beach trip isn't till April.  Already trying to figure out a way to get she who must be obeyed to allow me a quick run to the coast for a hunt before then.  

Teeth17.4.png

Teeth17.5.jpg

Teeth17.3.jpg

teeth17.2.jpg

Teeth17.1.jpg

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Nice finds, so much better than killing some poor deer.

Tony

I agree, nice finds. Hunting is one way of managing deer populations in the southeast especially. Deer populations in the southeast are at an all time high. Without properly controlled hunting seasons, that poor deer is likely to die from a collision with a vehicle (which there are thousands upon thousands annually) starvation or chronic wasting disease. There are no natural predators for deer in this part of the country like there are out west. 

However this forum is about fossils. The beaches close to Savannah are one of the places I am looking forward to going to. Next time I visit my sister ......................... 

• I found this Informative 3

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Nice finds, so much better than killing some poor deer.

Tony

Two deer bit the dust.  Freezer will be full of free range, antibiotic free, hormone free, protein.  The 2000 acre farm I was on loses an estimated 50K a year in crops due to the deer.  Farmer would prefer we shot more than we did.  

A properly managed herd is good for everyone, including the deer.  

Now, if I could only find a good place to hunt that also has good tooth hunting, I'd have it made!  

1 hour ago, sixgill pete said:

I agree, nice finds. Hunting is one way of managing deer populations in the southeast especially. Deer populations in the southeast are at an all time high. Without properly controlled hunting seasons, that poor deer is likely to die from a collision with a vehicle (which there are thousands upon thousands annually) starvation or chronic wasting disease. There are no natural predators for deer in this part of the country like there are out west. 

However this forum is about fossils. The beaches close to Savannah are one of the places I am looking forward to going to. Nest time I visit my sister ......................... 

Bull River Marina in Savannah does shark tooth trips.  I've used them three times and have had no issues. 

They're currently dredging the channel and the new dredge spoils may be open to the public by mid to late summer this year according to the guy that captained our boat.  

• I found this Informative 1

That's a sweet Meg! Congrats: ) monster hemi as well:fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Did you get the one in the rock in the first pic? How will you prep it? Great finds and nice work on the deer! Jealous on both :D

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Ha! I too was a much better tooth hunter this fall than deer hunter...though every time I went out I had deer in range (I only bow hunt), there was nothing that I thought was big enough. I will also confess that there were many times that I was sitting in my tree and thinking that it would have been a good day to search the Potomac!

Great finds!

Rob :D

13 hours ago, jcbshark said:

That's a sweet Meg! Congrats: ) monster hemi as well:fistbump:

The Hemi is probably the best tooth in my collection.  Pic doesn't do it justice. Came out of the ground looking polished.  

11 hours ago, Ash said:

Did you get the one in the rock in the first pic? How will you prep it? Great finds and nice work on the deer! Jealous on both :D

No, I mention in the post how I didn't see it due to "meg fever".  I focused on the meg and only the meg, missing the good tooth in the matrix next to it.  Pretty bad miss!  

8 hours ago, RCW3D said:

Ha! I too was a much better tooth hunter this fall than deer hunter...though every time I went out I had deer in range (I only bow hunt), there was nothing that I thought was big enough. I will also confess that there were many times that I was sitting in my tree and thinking that it would have been a good day to search the Potomac!

Great finds!

Best deer season I've ever had.  Harvested a good buck for the first time in 10 years.  I'm more a meat hunter so I'm not shooting any buck unless it's going on the wall.  Got a nice mature 8 point.  Three does in the freezer as well.  And saw deer every single time I hit the woods.  Some of my best days I never even picked up the rifle.  Just watched deer/nature do their thing.  

The meg has fantastic color.  I love the lightning patterns.  A lucky find.  

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.