Jonelle

Hi guys! It's been a while since I've posted here but I wanted to share some of the things we found yesterday out at the beach :) I know that I have a lot of teeth & stingray parts, but I'm not sure about some of these other bones.. anyone able to make some IDs here? The non-fossil bones were discovered by my husband and he said he thinks they are from a dolphin. I'm interested in finding out info for the photo with 9 items, the brown thing in the center is about one inch for scale. Thanks! IMG_9302.JPG

IMG_9300.JPG

The bones are from pigs. They use pigs in the crab traps offshore. The bones are commonly found when diving and washed up on the beach.

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, calhounensis said:

The bones are from pigs. They use pigs in the crab traps offshore. The bones are commonly found when diving and washed up on the beach.

pigs as crab bait. Learn something new every day! Would have never thought that.

3 hours ago, Plax said:

pigs as crab bait. Learn something new every day! Would have never thought that.

I second that. With all the commercial crabbing done here in NC I have never heard of that. Fish heads.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Hey Jonelle, Looks like the husband came home with all kinds of stuff. Any chance you guys have a photo of what the back/reverse side of the 9 pieces look like? I'm thinking the upper left thee porous looking pieces are probably bone/turtle shell, might even be one phosphate nodule. The lowermost shiney piece on the right with the concentric/parallel lines appears to be a fragment of a fish mouth plate. The piece to the left of that might be something like a gator scute but with the partial nature its tough to tell. Textures on the back of those pieces may offer some more clues to further ID. The beach there does put a nice shine on alot of the specimens but has a tendancy to remove all the ornamentation/fine details. Thanks for showing us. 

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 1

Lol @Plantguy I found all but the pig bones! He is getting better at spotting things now though ;) I left all of it at my mom's house today, but I will get pictures of the backs tomorrow! I think the bottom ones are all really beautiful I would love to know what they are! Thanks for your input! I'm getting better at weeding out the phosphate nodules, but it's tough to tell sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Jonelle said:

Lol @Plantguy I found all but the pig bones! He is getting better at spotting things now though ;) I left all of it at my mom's house today, but I will get pictures of the backs tomorrow! I think the bottom ones are all really beautiful I would love to know what they are! Thanks for your input! I'm getting better at weeding out the phosphate nodules, but it's tough to tell sometimes.

No problem. Some of this stuff without cutting/sectioning it and looking at it under a microscope its simply too tough to tell what it is let alone what it came from but thats half the fun sometimes. You just never know what critter you may have run across. I've been recently working on going thru scraps looking for pieces of wood that I've overlooked. Lots of the Florida collectors have boxes of really worn/polished unknowns. Some of us know how to get rid of some of this stuff and others dont!! LOL. 

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 1