Just wanted to show collection :)

VTinNorthAB

Hi! I'm a novice collector of rocks, crystals and ammonites.  There is just something about the shape, textures or patterns of ammonites that I love.  I can't quite explain it.  I know my collection is likely laughable as a lot of them came from eBay and are polished or worked on.  They just looked appealing to me.  I try to do research or ask questions before I buy anything.  

I wanted to show the ammonites I've collected over the years.  Some of them came from the local rock shop and some came from all over.  I vaguely have an idea what some are but not sure completely :)

please dont laugh lol

Picture #1 - I was told are surriceras ammonite - bought from a vendor in USA

Picture #2 - I was told is a perisphinctes ammonite - bought from a vendor in USA

Picture #3 - I was told is a harpoceras ammonite - bought off eBay from a vender in France

Picture #4 - I was told that: A. is a Diadochoceras Acanthohoplites - I bought these 3 off eBay from Russia
                                        B. is a Acanthohoplites nolani
                                        C. is a Euphylloceras

ammonite1.jpg

ammonite2.jpg

ammonite3.jpg
Ammonite4.jpg

Picture #5 - I was told this one is a Graphoceras sp - I purchased it off eBay from the U.K.

Picture #6 - I was told they are goniatites - I purchased this at a local rock shop

After pic#6 I have no idea what any of these others are but just liked the way they looked.

Sorry these pics are so huge...I resized them but they look enormous....

ammonite5.jpg

ammonite8.jpg

Ammonite6.jpg
ammonite7.jpg

heres where it gets to be just more visual...these I know are heavily worked and polished...they just looked neat

the first pic on this post my dad bought me from a local rock shop

ammonite9.jpg

ammonite10.jpg

ammonite11.jpg

ammonite12.jpg

the first pic in this post the ammonites aren't coated with anything

the second pic they look like pyrite and are heavy

and I think the last pic is a nautilus

ammonite13.jpg

ammonite14.jpg

ammonite15.jpg

ammonite16.jpg

ammonite17.jpg

I know some are nice and others are more for visual.  I know some aren't great but still neat :) 

Much better than my ammo collection, that is nothing to laugh at!

You have some wonderful pieces in there.

Nice collection there. You have good taste. The ammonites in pic 6 and also the following one are Douveilliceras sp., probably from Madagascar. Im also thinking that what you are calling a Perisphinctes may also be a Cheloniceras from Morocco. Perisphinctes doesn't generally have such thick ribs. The ones in the middle photo in the following post are typical Perisphinctes.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

15 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Nice collection there. You have good taste. The ammonites in pic 6 and also the following one are Douveilliceras sp., probably from Madagascar. Im also thinking that what you are calling a Perisphinctes may also be a Cheloniceras from Morocco. Perisphinctes doesn't generally have such thick ribs. The ones in the middle photo in the following post are typical Perisphinctes.

I had a feeling those sets were douvilleceras but wasn't confident enough to say it

This is awesome information and help!  I greatly appreciate it. 

You have a great ammonite collection. You should be proud of it. Dont downplay it.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

That's quite the array of ammos you've got there.   That thing your not able to explain is the same thing for me when it comes to the fossil crabs even though I do love the ammo's too.  Nice collection.

RB

What a fantastic collection you've got! I would be very happy if I had an Amonite collection like that, great stuff!

Yes, nothing to laugh at. I try to steer away from polished/altered ones as I am a specimen collector, not a jewelry collector, but sometimes that's all you can get. (I have made mistakes too, acquiring an ammo that at first glance looked unaltered, but on later inspection, the ribs have been polished, or the aperture has been cut off square - a lot of those coming out of Madagascar are like that - I think there is a law down there that exports have to have some 'value added', so that some poor local gets work, rather than exporting 'raw materials', but some raw ones still get out somehow). But they do look nice, if that's all you care about. The polished ones are good to have alongside the unpolished examples, to see the sutures.

I also try to get location data with my fossils, it's the most important bit of info for any fossil, even more so that what its name is. You can more often figure out what it is if you have its location info, than the other way around.

Anyway you've come to the right place to get that info filled in, if at all it can be filled in beyond what you've already got!

Archived